jonnyGURU Forums

jonnyGURU Forums (http://www.jonnyguru.com/forums/index.php)
-   PC Power Supply Discussion (http://www.jonnyguru.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Seasonic Prime 750 Review (http://www.jonnyguru.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13529)

Oklahoma Wolf 08-15-2016 08:36 AM

Seasonic Prime 750 Review
 
Quote:

At long last, we have a new power supply from Seasonic to take a look at. It is one of their brand new flagship series of units bearing the "Prime" moniker. Boasting things like super stable voltage stability, a ten year warranty, and ultra low ripple; the marketing department at Seasonic has been writing an awful lot of checks about these units. Let's see if the unit can cash them.
http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php...Story&reid=481

HX520 08-15-2016 08:44 AM

Impressive. Too bad about the hefty $179 price tag though.

VSG 08-15-2016 08:51 AM

Great review, great unit. Well done, Seasonic!

Does the EVGA 750 P2 at $130 not affect scoring here? 80+ Platinum units were used before when rating 80+ Titanium units.

schnopsnosn 08-15-2016 08:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VSG (Post 128234)
Great review, great unit. Well done, Seasonic!

Does the EVGA 750 P2 at $130 not affect scoring here? 80+ Platinum units were used before when rating 80+ Titanium units.

Well, the EVGA 750 T2 is $189.99 in the EVGA-store, so I don't see an issue with that.

Where I personally see an issue is the retail pricing in Europe. The lowest price for that unit I can find is 215,92.

HX520 08-15-2016 09:08 AM

Scan has it for 189.99. The G-750 is 100 and the HX750i (Platinum) is 132.99, so I don't think it's worthwhile at that price...

breixobaloca 08-15-2016 09:09 AM

The things that most impressed me were the capacitors. Nippon Chemi-Con series I NEVER saw on PSUs. Someone know about it?

CE on primary and W on secondary. I don't see any info on the website. Interesting :)

And of course, nice review.

Orion 08-15-2016 09:12 AM

Not enough Transformers puns, 2/10 review git gud.

Quote:

<music break - same annoying Fall Out Boy song over and over and over and over and...>
SOME LEGENDS ARE TOLD
SOME TURN TO DUST OR TO GOLD

This ripple without cable caps is very impressive.

breixobaloca 08-15-2016 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Orion (Post 128238)
Not enough Transformers puns, 2/10 review git gud.

SOME LEGENDS ARE TOLD
SOME TURN TO DUST OR TO GOLD

This ripple without cable caps is very impressive.

Yup. Really impressive, nice work from Seasonic. The only thing I would like to see is digital system :(

McSteel 08-15-2016 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by breixobaloca (Post 128237)
The things that most impressed me were the capacitors. Nippon Chemi-Con series I NEVER saw on PSUs. Someone know about it?

CE on primary and W on secondary. I don't see any info on the website. Interesting :)

Tailor-made for Seasonic. You may see them elsewhere if SS didn't pay for exclusivity.

Quote:

Originally Posted by VSG (Post 128234)
Does the EVGA 750 P2 at $130 not affect scoring here? 80+ Platinum units were used before when rating 80+ Titanium units.

Just as a reference. The only fair comparison is among units of the same class, regardless of whether the price premium feels justified - feelings tend to be biased, and we're striving for objectivity in these evaluations... ;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by HX520 (Post 128236)
Scan has it for 189.99. The G-750 is 100 and the HX750i (Platinum) is 132.99, so I don't think it's worthwhile at that price...

As above, that's a personal attitude towards cutting-edge tech, and I can respect that. Still no reason to dock this unit :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by schnopsnosn (Post 128235)
Well, the EVGA 750 T2 is $189.99 in the EVGA-store, so I don't see an issue with that.

Where I personally see an issue is the retail pricing in Europe. The lowest price for that unit I can find is €215,92.

EU is always going to be more expensive than US, nothing new there, sadly... Seeing stuff on the 'Egg that's 30% cheaper than over here will forever bring a bitter tear to my eye :p

Quote:

Originally Posted by breixobaloca (Post 128239)
Yup. Really impressive, nice work from Seasonic. The only thing I would like to see is digital system :(

Why? Obviously the analog implementation is just as good. What do you gain by going digital in this case? More complexity, more points of failure and higher price as well as somewhat lower efficiency at very low loads.

And hey, as far as I'm concerned, such precise tuning in full analog should be considered an art form :)

---

As for my own comments, did Seasonic give an official statement regarding the performance of the first sample? Does it belong to a known-not-as-impressive batch, do they claim it's a one-off, or is the performance variance significant on this model?

Otherwise, a well-deserved 10/10, would consider it a Prime example.

Great review, Wolfie!

Oklahoma Wolf 08-15-2016 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by McSteel (Post 128241)
As for my own comments, did Seasonic give an official statement regarding the performance of the first sample? Does it belong to a known-not-as-impressive batch, do they claim it's a one-off, or is the performance variance significant on this model?

There's a Seasonic rep on the forums - I'll let him comment on that as he likes. Last I heard they were still looking into it.

I did find some soldering related issues on my breakout board after my first test on it, but fixing those and retesting didn't improve things enough to get it to where the second unit got. Enough to move it from 1.6% average regulation to 1% though.

Should note the second unit used the first one's cables to get the review numbers. That's why I think it's something with the VRM in the first one.

Even the first one would have cleared a 9.8 total score :D


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:17 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright © JonnyGURU.com 2000 -