jonnyGURU Forums

jonnyGURU Forums (http://www.jonnyguru.com/forums/index.php)
-   PC Power Supply Discussion (http://www.jonnyguru.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Corsair 860, 860i issues? (http://www.jonnyguru.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10760)

Tao 07-30-2013 03:28 AM

Corsair 860, 860i issues?
 
So I have read some reviews on new egg and apparently both suffer from bad batches. (860 has a high pitched wine even when powered down, and 860i will explode)

Does anyone know if corsair has fixed these issues? Both were rated excellent by this site, but I dont wont to have to deal with RMA concerns.

McSteel 07-30-2013 03:50 AM

For any product that you may decide to buy, you have a 50/50 chance that it will not work as intended or desired. This is because you are only one person, and statistics as such are not applicable in this case

It makes so very little difference if there's a 10% or a 1% RMA rate for an item, that you shouldn't look at the raw numbers to help you decide. Furthermore, NewEgg reviews, aside from being utterly unreliable, can't be treated as a usable statistical sample, simply because you can't know if the reviews on there are a representative sample, or an exception.

There is one thing NE reviews are good for - real world use experience. So you found a case that fits your needs, based on size specifications. But then you read about some user's woes with those specs being overly optimistic, and his inability to install a supposedly supported motherboard or CPU heatsink. Aside from this, they're worthless.

Now, why do you feel you need 860W of power? What do you look for in a PSU?

Oklahoma Wolf 07-30-2013 10:11 AM

My AX860i has not exploded. It's been running 24/7 for months now.

allikat 07-30-2013 05:05 PM

Online reviews are usually either from fans, or people who've had a bad experience. The majority of people for whom the product does everything just fine usually don't post, they just haven't found the need to work up their feelings enough to post about it.

walterm 07-30-2013 08:24 PM

newegg uses paper "padding " for shipping some items.
I have had good luck with newegg ordered items. Every time I open a package and see paper I worry about shipping damage though.
I often wonder how many of those newegg reports (or similar ones) can be attributed to package abuse. In packing or transit.
From my reading some parts of the country are notorious for rough package handling. Mine (area, location, whatever), bless the people I see and do not see, is not one of them.
No way to tell.
Anyone care to invent a shock recorder that could ship from the manufacturer with each item? Also the tech levels of some people handling this stuff after they get it is scary.

jonnyGURU 07-30-2013 08:25 PM

I currently work for Corsair. I have not seen any "batches" of exploding 860i's. ;)

I actually use an AX860i to power a rig with three GTX670's.

A lot of the Seasonic units, including Corsair's AX860, do have some whining issues when in standby. Ever since the +5VSB circuit was upgraded to comply with ErP 2013 requirements, the X cap, PFC cap and +5VSB transformer has been known to make whining noises.

mdk777 07-30-2013 08:32 PM

Quote:

Anyone care to invent a shock recorder that could ship from the manufacturer with each item?
Exists.
For example:
http://www.drypak.com/shippingHandlingIndicators.html
However used on higher value shipments due to cost considerations. :D

The give and take between how much you are willing to spend, and how much the carrier is willing to insure your goods has been going on since the horse and buggy.

Tao 07-31-2013 12:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by McSteel (Post 99685)
For any product that you may decide to buy, you have a 50/50 chance that it will not work as intended or desired. This is because you are only one person, and statistics as such are not applicable in this case

It makes so very little difference if there's a 10% or a 1% RMA rate for an item, that you shouldn't look at the raw numbers to help you decide. Furthermore, NewEgg reviews, aside from being utterly unreliable, can't be treated as a usable statistical sample, simply because you can't know if the reviews on there are a representative sample, or an exception.

There is one thing NE reviews are good for - real world use experience. So you found a case that fits your needs, based on size specifications. But then you read about some user's woes with those specs being overly optimistic, and his inability to install a supposedly supported motherboard or CPU heatsink. Aside from this, they're worthless.

Now, why do you feel you need 860W of power? What do you look for in a PSU?


Multiple people have reviewed these power supplies claiming the exact same thing for each of them. Yes its not an overall statistical sample, but those are HUGE issues.

I am looking for an SLI power supply. I do realize that 700 watts should suit me for now, but I want to invest in a power supply that has a room to grow over the next 10 years or so (warranty is 7). Yes power consumption is goi ng down right now, but it will hit a wall with the technology eventually and power needs will rise again.

Tao 07-31-2013 12:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jonnyGURU (Post 99695)
I currently work for Corsair. I have not seen any "batches" of exploding 860i's. ;)

I actually use an AX860i to power a rig with three GTX670's.

A lot of the Seasonic units, including Corsair's AX860, do have some whining issues when in standby. Ever since the +5VSB circuit was upgraded to comply with ErP 2013 requirements, the X cap, PFC cap and +5VSB transformer has been known to make whining noises.

Well here are the links to the reviews for the PSUs (I used exploding for lack of a better way to convey what the reviews were describing simply)

AX860i: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817139041

Either died first run, or 5 months later

AX860: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817139044

SO why dont other PSUs have the whining noise?

Oklahoma Wolf 07-31-2013 12:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tao (Post 99702)
Well here are the links to the reviews for the PSUs (I used exploding for lack of a better way to convey what the reviews were describing simply)

AX860i: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817139041

Either died first run, or 5 months later

"Chuckster" and the "N/A" below him are the same person, I'm completely sure of it. He appears to have installed the unit using incompatible Thermaltake modular cables. Of course that's going to cause problems... modular cables aren't universal. Once in a blue moon it may work, but it's never a good idea. More often than not, the pinouts are totally incompatible, leading to fried hard drives and other fun things. He found out the hard way.

This is what you're dealing with when you read Newegg reviews. You can't rely on them, because you have no idea what the user's level of troubleshooting ability is.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:56 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright © JonnyGURU.com 2000 -