jonnyGURU Forums

jonnyGURU Forums (http://www.jonnyguru.com/forums/index.php)
-   PC Power Supply Discussion (http://www.jonnyguru.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Power supplies decision (http://www.jonnyguru.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10029)

Noplay 03-08-2013 09:17 PM

Power supplies decision
 
Last night power outage broke down my PSU, Antec True power 650.
Looking to buy one today, came down to these two selection.
1) CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX750 V2
(http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817139021)

2) CORSAIR HX series HX650 650W ATX12V v2.2
(http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817139012)

I probably did some calculation wrong with the online calculators, my cpu power usage was only 327, yet can't run games smoothly.
Gfx card is geforce 550ti,
i5 2500k cpu
1 x 7200rpm hdd
1 x dvd write drive
8gb ram ddr3

Question: if I want to upgrade video card and another 4-8gb ram later on, would these two be insufficient?
Thanks in advance! :)

Tator Tot 03-08-2013 10:42 PM

You don't need anything close to that powerful.

Kingwin LZP-550 would be your best option at $120. It's more capable than the HX650 and far more efficient than the TX750v2.

Like wise, it costs about the same and you could easily go to a Core i7 3770K & two GTX 680's with it.

mdk777 03-08-2013 11:40 PM

Quote:

my cpu power usage was only 327, yet can't run games smoothly.
Not following you here...your game frame rate is dependent on your GPU and CPU.

Extra wattage is not going to make any difference(well some with OC...but in general)

Like TT says, you can run any top end card on your rig with a good 550 watt.

My amd 7970 OC with and old AMD cpu (150 watt) never pulls over 350Watts. :D

Noplay 03-08-2013 11:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tator Tot (Post 96767)
You don't need anything close to that powerful.

Kingwin LZP-550 would be your best option at $120. It's more capable than the HX650 and far more efficient than the TX750v2.

Like wise, it costs about the same and you could easily go to a Core i7 3770K & two GTX 680's with it.

Thanks for your suggestions!
That video card made me drool...
One question: would you choose to have 1 really good video card or on top of my crappy 550ti I buy another decent one and do dual?


Quote:

Originally Posted by mdk777 (Post 96771)
Not following you here...your game frame rate is dependent on your GPU and CPU.

Extra wattage is not going to make any difference(well some with OC...but in general)

Like TT says, you can run any top end card on your rig with a good 550 watt.

My amd 7970 OC with and old AMD cpu (150 watt) never pulls over 350Watts. :D

haha my bad after reading about rate of diminishing returns for derating curve, I thought it was better safe than sorry to get that wiggle room because I was planning on upgrading the video card and core and ram.
I definitely am glad I read those stickies because before this incident I was fooled by salesmen at fry's.

mdk777 03-09-2013 12:29 AM

Quote:

One question: would you choose to have 1 really good video card or on top of my crappy 550ti I buy another decent one and do dual?
I always find one better;

SLI and crossfire is dependent on software.

Some games do well, some don't. Optimized drivers always lag game roll outs...

New cards are more efficient...by the time you think of buying a second card...you can buy a new one that is twice as fast and cost less, and uses less electricity to boot.

Only go SLI if you want insane resolutions and high settings NOW. :D

Not some time in the future, example; pushing 3 or 5 monitors for 3d driving or flight sim. :D

Tator Tot 03-09-2013 12:44 AM

Just go for a single card.

rafal_iB_PL 03-09-2013 06:02 AM

Single card, I highly doubt much attention is paid to making 2x550Ti's scale properly,

allikat 03-09-2013 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rafal_iB_PL (Post 96777)
Single card, I highly doubt much attention is paid to making 2x550Ti's scale properly,

This. The cost to buy a second 550Ti for SLi would only be a small amount less than buying a single card with better performance in most games. You could always keep the 550ti to run secondary displays.

SLi scaling depends on the game in question, and very many games just don't handle it well at all. It also confuses auto-config software, which tends to just set things up based on single card performance anyway.

I wish I had gone for a single really good card over a pair of more modest ones.

ehume 03-09-2013 11:15 AM

Today only, you can get a 660-Watt SeaSonic SS-660XP for $109 and free shipping, with a MIR for a further $20 off. Promo code EMCYTZT3071.

If I was getting a PSU today, that's what I would get.

p4l1ndr0m3 03-09-2013 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ehume (Post 96781)
Today only, you can get a 660-Watt SeaSonic SS-660XP for $109 and free shipping, with a MIR for a further $20 off. Promo code EMCYTZT3071.

If I was getting a PSU today, that's what I would get.

Don't forget the Rosewill Tachyon 550w and 750w are both on sale as well. The 550w is $75 after MIR and the 750w is $115 after MIR, both have free shipping.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...achyon&x=0&y=0


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:12 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.