jonnyGURU Forums

jonnyGURU Forums (http://www.jonnyguru.com/forums/index.php)
-   PC Power Supply Discussion (http://www.jonnyguru.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Leaking voltage, normal or defective? (http://www.jonnyguru.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9589)

Kougar 11-26-2012 11:04 PM

Leaking voltage, normal or defective?

Howdy! I may be a computer enthusiast but I am by far from an electrical engineer, so I need some knowledgeable information. Is there something wrong with this unit, is it just cheap manufacturing, or is this unit actually unsafe for use? I need some professional advice as I do not want to sell anything defective or dangerous. If it is bad I'll just junk it for parts.

Had a rash of really hard to troubleshoot computer issues recently, and swapping parts wasn't helping so I began looking at the PSU. Swapping PSUs didn't help, but I did find this while investigating a very faint electrical noise.

One of the two main heatsinks has a great deal of voltage going across it, it would drop then quickly spike back up to -65 volts every second and then repeat. The second heatsink only gives readings in the millivolts scale.

Before removing the PSU I did first check many connectors to verify the rail voltages were in line and did not observe anything unusual while the PC was under load condition.

Since I can't get a thumbnail to work properly, here's a direct link

Oklahoma Wolf 11-26-2012 11:23 PM

That's normal. The primary heatsink in most units is live at AC potential. That's why you should never open these things up while they're plugged in... that heatsink can bite you if you're not careful.

Kougar 11-27-2012 01:59 AM

Thanks for the reply! I didn't realize it was typical.

Yeah, I'm well aware of the danger. Only reason it is plugged in, let alone running is I was looking for the distinctly electric buzzing noise that was indicative of a problem. I was using a voltage detector that warned me the heatsink was carrying current.

Tator Tot 11-27-2012 03:03 AM

Move the wires to the side to see if a capacitor is leaking or has an issue.

The caps in that unit are not of reputable quality.

Other than that, it's most likely a coil.

Stefan Payne 11-27-2012 08:20 AM

Oh, just 62,5V on the primary heatsink?! Pretty low that is..
I've seen far higher voltages on this heatsink like the Voltage the PFC Stage works with or rectified 230V AC (about 325V).

And it's pretty normal that this voltage is on that heatsink. Someone told me its to lower the EMV emissions of the unit...

ehume 11-27-2012 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stefan Payne (Post 94037)
the EMV emissions ...

Means what?

Stefan Payne 11-28-2012 08:42 AM

Sorry, that was the German word.

In english its electromagnetic compliance (or compatibility).

EMV stands for elektromagnetische Verträglichkeit in German...

ehume 11-28-2012 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stefan Payne (Post 94049)
Sorry, that was the German word.

In english its electromagnetic compliance (or compatibility).

EMV stands for elektromagnetische Verträglichkeit in German...

Ausgeseichnet! Danke sehr!

Kougar 11-28-2012 07:21 PM

So EMV = EMI basically :D

Thanks everyone for the responses. Since everyone concurs I think I'll wrap the unit back up and sell it on ebay since it's a 1100w 80+ silver monster. I'll make a note to eyeball the caps first though. :)