jonnyGURU Forums

jonnyGURU Forums (http://www.jonnyguru.com/forums/index.php)
-   PC Power Supply Discussion (http://www.jonnyguru.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Seasonic Prime 850W Review (http://www.jonnyguru.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13643)

MetalZeroNine 09-20-2016 08:30 AM

In the scale of Hercules to Delta Electronics - how much better is the Prime compared to the SS-660XP2? (that I got for $146)

Also I noticed that Seasonic stopped using velvet bag for the cables - which is nice for them

ehume 09-20-2016 08:58 AM

I always thought the velvet bags were for storing the PSU's. The Seasonic cables come in two-part plastic sacks with snappable plastic flaps.

@OW: really good writeup. Nice and clear. Makes me wonder if any of my earlier PSU's are old enough to warrant replacing with this.

@Seasonic Rep: the one thing I wish you included was a PSU turn-on socket. Your support page suggests we test the PSU first by grounding the Power-Good line. But female 24-hole ATX sockets for motherboards are available with the Power-Good and Ground positions pre-connected. I have this adapter -- I bought one from a shop. But a PSU maker includes them routinely. I'll bet one intercepted return would pay for including them routinely.

But the PSU itself is awesome. I await Prime Platinum and Gold with interest.

Q -- is the fanless Prime based on the 850 watt model?

MetalZeroNine 09-20-2016 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ehume (Post 130191)
I always thought the velvet bags were for storing the PSU's. The Seasonic cables come in two-part plastic sacks with snappable plastic flaps.

Seasonic used to have velvet bags for cable on X-series and 1st gen Platinums AFAIK

Journeyman 09-20-2016 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MetalZeroNine (Post 130201)
Seasonic used to have velvet bags for cable on X-series and 1st gen Platinums AFAIK

No, they were synthetic double bags. Click. :)

ITelektro 09-21-2016 03:25 AM

Quote:

Yes, there are some random spikes in these shots. Don't worry about them... they don't matter at the amplitudes seen here. They just do not matter. I see one at 8mV, one at 9mV. That's nothing. Nothing.
Ok, you think that spikes are not important. Ripple is measured by p-p within 20MHz including each spike. We can not ignore spikes because we think are not important.

I tested this power supply for the one web portal in Croatia. Plenty complaints went to the quality of the fan. Double lower life expectancy than the rest of the device. What is your opinion?
Thank you for your answers.

On my copy I found a couple of really badly soldered points. According to the experience would say that someone manually soldered. I'm glad to see that it was only in my copy. In the copy which is jonny test, soldering is flawless.

Seasonic deserves compliments for this unit.

Journeyman 09-21-2016 04:58 AM

@ Seasonic Rep
Your engeeniers should improve the voltage regulation/the efficiency on the +5VSB rail. 78-81% is kinda weak. Come on, drop a gem on 'em - it's your Prime Series ;)

Found this review (translate) of all three Prime models. None of them stayed within/under the 0,5 range of load regulation on all rails. :(

none77 09-21-2016 06:00 AM

Look before at aris respond, they measured the diff from nominal (that what atx demands).
If you will check the load regulation from the start voltage it will be under 0.5%, that what this site measures.

ITelektro 09-21-2016 06:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Journeyman (Post 130222)
@ Seasonic Rep
Your engeeniers should improve the voltage regulation/the efficiency on the +5VSB rail. 78-81% is kinda weak. Come on, drop a gem on 'em - it's your Prime Series ;)

In practice this means that .....
15W at 80% efficiency will cause the loss of 3w. If Seasonic increase efficiency to 90% then the losses will be reduced by 1.5W ....yes whole 1,5w.

Quote:

Found this review (translate) of all three Prime models. None of them stayed within/under the 0,5 range of load regulation on all rails. :(
So far there quite a few reviews of this PSU, and the results are within 0.5%. This review stands out.

Oklahoma Wolf 09-21-2016 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ITelektro (Post 130220)
Ok, you think that spikes are not important.

No, I think those spikes are not important.

As for the fan and soldering, I can't really score units I don't have.

Journeyman 09-22-2016 08:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Journeyman (Post 130222)
Found this review (translate) of all three Prime models. None of them stayed within/under the 0,5 range of load regulation on all rails.

Hee hee, already removed (cowards). :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by ITelektro (Post 130225)
In practice this means that .....
15W at 80% efficiency will cause the loss of 3w. If Seasonic increase efficiency to 90% then the losses will be reduced by 1.5W ....yes whole 1,5w.

I can understand your irony, but hell yeah... Every watt counts :p