PDA

View Full Version : how do I stop windows going bad

ianm2
03-28-2012, 04:36 PM
every time I get the same problem, not long after installing and same for software, windows slows down to a chug, is there anyway I can stop this from happening please? thanks

mariush
03-31-2012, 02:54 PM
Install a proper antivirus and stop installing all the crap applications, video codec packs, toolbars and so on.

Use a player like Media Player Classic Home Cinema to play videos without any need to install codecs.
Use Firefox or Chrome to browse the net safely.
Use a proper antivirus like Eset NOD32 or Avira or whatever else is cool these days.

Set your Windows' page file to a fixed size of 3-4 GB and after a reboot, defragment your windows drive using a good software like o&o defrag.

Shadowww
03-31-2012, 04:33 PM
Install a proper antivirus and stop installing all the crap applications, video codec packs, toolbars and so on.

Use a player like Media Player Classic Home Cinema to play videos without any need to install codecs.
Use a proper antivirus like Eset NOD32 or Avira or whatever else is cool these days.

Set your Windows' page file to a fixed size of 3-4 GB and after a reboot, defragment your windows drive using a good software like o&o defrag.+1 on all above, except for defragmenter - O&O Defrag is shareware (and is quite pricey), SmartDefrag 2 is great free alternative.

mariush
04-01-2012, 06:50 AM
O&O Defrag was one of the few defragmenters (at the time I evaluated software) that was smart enough to move the fixed page file to the start of the drive.

If the page file was not of fixed size, it moved it somewhere around the 60% of the drive, where it would make the most free space around it so that Windows could enlarge or shrink it with as little fragmentation as possible.

As for the price... I'm from East Europe... when I was younger and didn't have the good job I have now, I used to pirate a lot of software so I didn't care about the price. Nowadays, I tend to buy the software I need (windows, antivirus, programming tools etc)

rafal_iB_PL
04-01-2012, 06:53 AM
Auslogics has a free defrag doubling as screen saver. Set once and forget.

KeriJane
01-01-2013, 09:16 PM
You can't stop Windows from going bad.

It's just Bad to the Bone!

The best way to run Windows is from within a Virtual Machine being run under a responsible OS like Linux or Mac OSX.

This way, you can save snapshots of your Windows installation and easily restore it to a point where it was no Badder than usual, or maybe even Less Bad than Usual if you're lucky.

Never mind me, I'm an AntiMicrosoftian :D

Baron
10-06-2015, 07:47 AM
My way of dealing with Windows, is to use WD True Image free software to clone my OS onto another HDD, and once done I disconnect it for safety. I will re-connect it about once a month to update it - MS/software updates etc. and then disconnect again.

Should the daily OS get broken for some reason, then I can just connect the 'master' HDD and clone it on to the bad HDD. Takes about 30-40 minutes, and all is well again.

This method has served me well for a few years, and not had to re-install an OS from scratch , which drives me nuts. :D

HDD's are pretty cheap these days, so it doesn't bother me to use a spare to keep 'master copies' on.

Others may disagree of course. :)

quest for silence
10-09-2015, 04:14 AM
My way of dealing with Windows, is to use WD True Image free software to clone my OS onto another HDD, and once done I disconnect it for safety.
Unless you use that method also to back up large data like videos, any flash nand device would work about as well as a mechanical hard drive: for instance I use Clonezilla and a large USB pen on a laptop.

ashiekh
01-22-2018, 06:21 PM
every time I get the same problem, not long after installing and same for software, windows slows down to a chug, is there anyway I can stop this from happening please? thanks

How long?

How much RAM do you have

CPU?

What version of Windows and are you installing from scratch

What extra 'utilities' have you installed

softraj79
04-10-2018, 03:15 AM
Admittedly, much of this rot is self-inflicted. A lot of Windows applications, particularly device drivers, aren't well written. Add a pile of dodgy apps and a smattering of drivers to a clean Windows installation.

Stefan Payne
04-10-2018, 04:22 AM
You can't stop Windows from going bad.
Haven't had much Problems with that.
The Problem might be in Hardware.
Or the User of course...

That were the only situations where I really had Problems with Windows, when the Memory or Harddrive or some other component is bad...

It's just Bad to the Bone!
From the Alternatives its not the best. The others are worse.

The best way to run Windows is from within a Virtual Machine being run under a responsible OS like Linux or Mac OSX.
Linux is SJW infested cancer that doesn't work well when you need a GUI.
The strong point is moddability, you can make the Operatiing system the way you want.

The GUIs however are still lacking - 5 Years later...
KDE can't stream from Windows Shares.
Windows + Numbers can only be used on Gnome3 wich isn't great to use. And essentially OSX Menubar rotated clockwise...
KDE doesn't use one Windows shortcut you might remember - not even STRG+F4 or ALT+F4.
Cinnamon seems to be the best, Windows + Arrows Works (AFAIR), old Windows 2k/XP/Vista style UI - based on Gnome 3.
MATE is Gnome2 continued, Windows + Arrow don't work. Looks similar to Cinamon.

From here it gets worse and some UI work and feel like Windows 95, maybe 98.
You have to use the maximize button if you want to move the Window.

OSX is way better than Linux but Apple Exclusive.
Yes you can install it on PC but its a pain and most components (Graphics cards) don't work out of the box. The best choice for that is higher end AMD Cards - but at the cost of Power Consumption...

In the end:
Windows does not deserve the slack its getting.
And Linux isn't as great as people are trying to talk because you have to do many things with the comand line.

And if you want to access Windows 10 Shares, you are out of luck.
With OSX at least that works.
And its totally different. But the keyboard layout is something that speaks for MacOSX...

Sorry, I know thread is old but I had to say something about this statement.

GDILord
04-10-2018, 06:31 AM
Yea you right Mariush but i think you miss the point that after installing window we must stop the window update option.

Careful guys, that's some very, VERY sneaky spam right there (I removed the link in my quote.) Well done to the author who got the keywords right for that bot.

GDILord
04-10-2018, 06:36 AM
My 2c:

Defragmenter Alternative
MyDefrag. It's free and works REALLY well. It needs to be said, however, as a general rule, do not defrag SSDs.

Anti-virus Alternatives
I'd recommend AVG/Sophos Home for free options.

Have a look around at some videos. I like The PC Security channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/ThePCSecurity/videos

AVG Free Antivirus 2018 Review: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLgjgAgv43U

Sophos Home Premium Review and Ransomware Test: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjyUBSTw7t0&t=52s

LeRayParateur
04-20-2018, 03:01 AM
One thing that might help (not sure if this applies to your situation) is to avoid streaming content from suspicious websites.

I have a friend who ruins a PC every few months... by spending hours every day watching 0-day movies, TV series without ads, PPV boxing events, etc. all from shady streaming websites.

So of course often installing the latest required 'driver', making an 'update', etc. Eventually weird software gets administrator privileges othervise the video won't work *facepalm*

It gets ridiculous to see how a recent computer with good computing power can get so slow, nothing is really free and they have to find a way to make up for the bandwidth cost.

stay_woke
05-30-2018, 04:32 AM
Same here. However, I found out that my antivirus program was messed up, so I switched and everything is fine now.

ashiekh
05-30-2018, 10:13 PM
I stick with Windows defender

PrideOfElites
09-03-2018, 08:28 AM

Set your Windows' page file to a fixed size of 3-4 GB and after a reboot, defragment your windows drive using a good software like o&o defrag.

Agreed with all the above. But I would go with Kaspersky.