PDA

View Full Version : Need to install both Nvidia RAID and AHCI drivers on same install....

Jon Gerow
12-08-2009, 01:37 PM
I've encountered a little problem here.....

On my builds, I set the Nvidia SATA controller to RAID even if I'm not currently setting up an array because IF I do need to set up an array, I just go into the RAID BIOS and add the necessary drives and there's no need to reinstall anything if you want to mirror a drive.

The problem is, AHCI is the default setting and if you switch from RAID to AHCI in the BIOS, you get a BSOD instead of Windows and the user freaks out.

Of course, if you toggle back to RAID, Windows boots right up again, but customers aren't that smart. You ask them if they changed anything in the BIOS and they typically say "no".

I would like to be able to install both RAID and AHCI drivers in Windows so it will boot up either way.

I already tried "update driver" and manually installed "Nvidia SATA Controller" and rebooted, but I still get the BSOD.

Any help?

cypherpunks
12-08-2009, 06:51 PM
I'm more of a Windows-hater than expert, but I'd try using one of the techniques (either sysprep or just deleting the hard drive drivers before rebooting) to get Windows to boot on a different motherboard.

Then boot to AHCI, let it load drivers, then try switching back.

I'm not at all sure that'll work, but it's an idea.

Jon Gerow
12-08-2009, 11:02 PM
You know what's funny... I tried manually switching the drivers, but didn't try deleting them. Let me give that a shot.

Jon Gerow
12-09-2009, 11:56 AM
That didn't work. :(

Stefan Payne
12-09-2009, 02:28 PM
Du you have an extra PCI Controller or an IDE to S-ATA Adaptor? (so you can plug a S-ATA Drive into an IDE port).

Without it, you'll have a problem since the AMD Chips are AFAIK the only ones that allow an IDE mode on 2 of the ports.

Jon Gerow
12-09-2009, 04:33 PM
No. I only have SATA ports. This is a notebook.