PDA

View Full Version : Windows 7 upgrade.

Silk_the_Absent1
10-06-2009, 08:19 AM
This past week I upgraded the living room computer to Vista Home Premium 64, and it came (OEM from Newegg (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832116677)) with an upgrade voucher for Windows 7 HP 64. Because there is a time frame it needs to be submitted, and I'm worried about losing the damn thing, think I should put in for it now?

If I do it now, when it comes, is there a certain amount of time that I am required to install it in? Or can I do it when I am ready (say, when 7 has drivers for what we need).

-Adam

Zero82z
10-06-2009, 10:14 AM
I would put in for the upgrade ASAP. And you won't have a time limit to install it in. The license should be good indefinitely.

Silk_the_Absent1
10-06-2009, 11:33 AM
Put in for it, estimated shipping date is November 5th. Interesting that the company HP is using is requiring a receipt and charging for shipping (only $13, but still); while M$ is not requiring either.

<shrug>

-Adam

Silk_the_Absent1
10-27-2009, 01:53 PM
I just got the 64-bit Home Premium from the desktop, the 32-bit Home Premium for my laptop hasn't gotten here yet.

I'm not in a hurry to install it, but when I do, anyone know if it can be done as a clean (ie. format) install? I *hate* upgrade installs with a passion well-neigh holy.

-Adam

sdbardwick
10-27-2009, 02:05 PM
Yup.

Clean installs are possible from upgrade media even to virgin disks - you need to jump through a few hoops (http://www.winsupersite.com/win7/clean_install_upgrade_media.asp).

If you start from an installed OS, clean install can be selected easily. For a clean install, you need to select the "Custom" option.

madmat
10-27-2009, 11:49 PM
The only hoop I know of is that you have to choose custom install, install it without a key (and no updating!) then do an upgrade from within 7. You use the key that time and let it update if you wish. Works just like Vista.

sdbardwick
10-28-2009, 12:14 AM
Double install works, but if one of the other two methods linked to works, you save the reinstall step.

Silk_the_Absent1
10-28-2009, 08:56 AM
Hmm, okay. Well, like I said, I'm in no hurry to install it, but when the 32-bit HP comes for my laptop, I may do that.

Anyone know if there is any truth to the claims of longer battery life than Vista?

-Adam