PDA

View Full Version : windows vs Linux

Monalisa
01-23-2009, 01:15 AM
In your views, Which OS is better to use and why?

1. Linux
2. Windows
3. I don't Know

Post your reply here.

burebista
01-23-2009, 01:30 AM
Best for what? For server like computers and geeks Linux, for average Joe and gamers Windows. :D

MrWicked1968
01-23-2009, 07:44 AM
Lindows, FTW!

Jon Gerow
01-23-2009, 11:45 AM
It's sort of a vague question. Really which one is best depends on who you are and what you do with your PC.

My wife uses Linux, because she does mostly Internet (web browsing and email), productivity (uses Open Office instead of MS Office) and some very light gaming (Mindsweeper and Solitaire type stuff).

I personally prefer Linux and can do all of the same plus image manipulation with Gimp. But my main machine at home is Windows based because most games work right out of the box for Windows. Yes, there's some games that work flawlessly in Linux, but not all of them.

At work I use Windows primarily because I have to communicate with an Exchange server (although I hear there's a good Linux app for that too) and synch up my Blackberry (something else that can be done in Linux with a 3rd party app, but RIM's app is made to work on just Windows).

KeriJane
01-23-2009, 08:27 PM
Uh oh...

There doesn't seem to be a choice for "Mac OS"! :confused:

But I guess that Leopard is a Unix OS ... and Linux is kinda Unix-y too.... And it's free, or at least cheap. And you are allowed to alter it as you see fit. And it isn't under relentless attack by bad people trying to steal your stuff or destroy your computer.

So probably Linux is better. Mostly. Especially if you can figure it out. Suse 9 made my head hurt a lot once, so it's certainly better for provoking thought.

Or maybe Windows is better if you don't mind spending a little (well, OK, a lot) money for convenience and near-universal compatibility. Just don't forget that gigantic piles of people really hate Windows a lot and try diligently to destroy it every day. Just so long as you stay offline with it it's wonderful! :o

Mac!
Keri

Super Nade
01-24-2009, 09:38 AM
It really depends on what you are using it for? For games and benching I'd go with Windows XP/Server 2k3. For a server setup or a home internet computer, I'd go with Linux (Ubuntu).

I won't touch Vista with a 10 ft pole though...

krokodil
02-06-2009, 02:12 AM
I would have choosen other if there was this possibility. My favorite is Solaris :)

pepsi_max2k
02-06-2009, 07:53 AM
depends what it's for. for a media center, and media work, i'd usually go linux. for gaming, obviously windows. for coding, linux. for general use, probably either, depending on what you're used to. but... personally i have an issue with the usability of the gui's in linux. i don't know why but it never feels "right", with too many buttons highlighting themselves or windows moving all over the place, borders being too big or too small, just seems easier to use windows as the user interface just feels more "solid". may just be because i'm used to it though. oh and the default text in linux sux. true type ftw :)

if you really just mean which is better to "use" though, probably windows, given the huge amount of support for it from various companies over linux. sure, once you're used to it it's fine, but nothing beats being able to actually use the user/install guide that came with your printer.

swaaye
02-10-2009, 05:41 PM
DOS forever! Back then, trying to get a game to run was as much a game as the game itself, and half the fun!

Otherwise: Linux for cheap web servers and for tinkering. Windows for those who don't want to mess with a command line and just want to get things done. Windows is also the place to go for by far the largest selection of games, obviously.

cypherpunks
02-11-2009, 04:15 AM
Given that I don't do any gaming, but do a lot of software development (and a bit of sysadmin), I like the machine that I can ssh into and bend to my will.

Microsoftware keeps popping up dialogs that say "If you are still experiencing problems, contact your network administrator." Okay, I am the fucking network administrator, now how about an error message with some sort of description of the fucking error?

On Linux, I can RTFM, or strace the executable, or tcpdump the network, or RTFS, or ask on mailing lists populated by people with a clue, or track down the person who wrote the code that's annoying me and ask him (or her, but usually him).

With Microsoftware, I can STFW for someone with the same error message, and find a bunch of forum postings from people who have even less of a clue than I do.

kimandsally
02-13-2009, 04:03 PM
It really depends on what you are using it for? For games and benching I'd go with Windows XP/Server 2k3. For a server setup or a home internet computer, I'd go with Linux (Ubuntu).

I won't touch Vista with a 10 ft pole though...

I run Vista but I have to admit to using 12 ft poles to type with:lol:

davidhammock200
02-15-2009, 12:46 AM
Best for what? For server like computers and geeks Linux, for average Joe and gamers Windows. :DSame question & answer. ;)

pwrusr
05-16-2009, 02:37 PM
I use suse enterprise desktop linux at work. Though I don't really care for it since it seems pretty slow for considering the hardware thats inside, then again that could be the hard drive that's slow... At home I really like using ubuntu 9.04 64bit. it's really REALLY nice for a desktop OS. For my servers I like to use OpenSUSE. Yast2 is so nice to use remotely ;)

I also use Windows XP at home since I love to game from time to time :D
My vote goes to linux. if I could do gaming as well under linux I'd be 100% linux.

370forlife
05-24-2009, 01:48 AM
I prefer IRIX.

But if I had to chose, Windows because of gaming and almost guaranteed hardware compatibility.

desozapeater
10-13-2009, 08:20 AM
Hi
Live CD's are fine, but they will not give a slimier experience with performance as installing Linux to the Hard Drive. There is a innovative program called Wubi that installs Ubuntu to a file on your Windows file system, it will give you close to the performance as a regular install with the advantage of not having to doing disk partitioning. Also you run the install from a beginner friendly Windows program.

zachig
10-21-2009, 03:28 AM
Hi all,

Just joined the forums! :D

I'll do my best to contribute to the forums and stick around. ;)

Now for the poll...

I voted for 'Windows'. I personally think linux is a bit better, but since I'm Windows fan, I voted for Windows. I really hope that Win7 will be a good competitor to linux...

dooglo
11-02-2009, 09:48 PM
I said I don't know. I've tried both. 98, 2000, Xp, Ubuntu, SuSe 9.8-10.3. All have their own pluses and minuses.