PDA

View Full Version : getting a PSU to full load... how hard?

procreate
11-30-2006, 03:23 PM
im trying to pick a PSU for this system i am putting together for an audio workstation, and im curious what really bogs down the PSU to make it run at full load. obviously what its power rating is will give it headroom or not...

what i am putting together is an intel 975XBX2 mobo, intel E6600, XFX GeForce 7600GS, 3-5 SATA drives, 1 DVD-R+1 DVD, PCI slots will be full with soundcard and DSP farms [2x PCI, 2x PCIe], 2GB DDR2 800 memory... and then there might be an assortment of things attached via USB and Firewire [though most have their own PSUs].

i did the calculators and came up with like 737W which seemed fairly high, although it was LATE last night and i might not of been totally there mentally doing.

i am looking at the Silverstone ST75ZF, the ST75F, and the thermaltake 750W. i hear the SS 75ZF is better than the 75F [but those cables are modular and wrapped ;) so i might have to wrap the 75ZF someway or another]

is 750W overkill? if i get the 75ZF, i dont want it to ever hit full load if possible so the fan doesnt kick in audibly... when working there are times when the CPU will be running 80%+ [most times mixing] but does the CPU running heavy loads long times cause high demand on the PSU to run full load as well, all the cards packed in the PCI slots, or is it stuff that people put in their cases like the lighting effects and so forth that higher wattages are needed?

procreate
11-30-2006, 06:15 PM
with a no more rested but saner mind here is the result:
System Type: Dual Processor
Motherboard: High End - Desktop
CPU: Intel Core 2 Quadro Q6600 2400 MHz Conroe
CPU Utilization (TDP): 90% TDP

RAM: 2 Sticks DDR2 SDRAM
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GS
Video Type: Single Card

SATA HDD: 3 HDDs

DVD-RW/DVD+RW Drive: 1 Drive
Additional PCI Card (avg): 2 Cards
PCI-e x1 Card: 2 Cards

USB: 8 Devices
IEEE-1394 FireWire: 5 Devices
Front Bay Card Reader: Yes

Fans
Regular: 1 Fan 80mm; 1 Fan 92mm; 1 Fan 120mm;

Motherboard, keyboard and mouse: Yes

PSU Utilization: 100 %

Total: 510 Watts

seem about right for a 750W still or can i get away with a 650W and still not have it run full load?

CAD4466HK
11-30-2006, 06:39 PM
Beware of PSU calculators;)
Take that wattage that it gave you and cut it in half,then add about another 100w to be safe;) more or less.

Don't believe the hype:p

I'm sure a Corsair HX620 would be plenty enough power for you.

procreate
11-30-2006, 06:44 PM
so you are saying only a 355W supply is needed? im really wanting to NOT have fans really run on the PSU's if at all possible... keep way below their headroom.

so do you think that silverstone 500W ST50EF [ http://www.jonnyguru.com/review_details.php?id=23 ] would be enough?

CAD4466HK
11-30-2006, 08:04 PM
so you are saying only a 355W supply is needed? im really wanting to NOT have fans really run on the PSU's if at all possible... keep way below their headroom.

so do you think that silverstone 500W ST50EF [ http://www.jonnyguru.com/review_details.php?id=23 ] would be enough?

I was going by your 737w quote they gave you:)
737 divided by 2=368+100=468, so 500w,give or take:)

That is a nice PSU, but take a look at the Corsair HX520;)
It's a overall better PSU, plus it's rated at 50C with 105C rated caps.

procreate
11-30-2006, 08:14 PM
unless im missing something, the SS-ST50EF+ doesnt have the 8pin/12V unfortunately....

yeah, that first number was from 4am last night and i messed up the configuration some [well a lot]. so somewhere between 550W and 650W would be more than enough? i wouldnt mind the ST56ZF but am a little paranoid about hte 80mm fan on it causing too much audible noise... they do have that fanless 300W but its only 300W.

i have been looking at the corsair as well, just received the corsair dominators today... 2GB|XMS2-6400's. have to be the largest i have ever seen.

CAD4466HK
11-30-2006, 08:27 PM
unless im missing something, the SS-ST50EF+ doesnt have the 8pin/12V unfortunately....

yeah, that first number was from 4am last night and i messed up the configuration some [well a lot]. so somewhere between 550W and 650W would be more than enough? i wouldnt mind the ST56ZF but am a little paranoid about hte 80mm fan on it causing too much audible noise... they do have that fanless 300W but its only 300W.

i have been looking at the corsair as well, just received the corsair dominators today... 2GB|XMS2-6400's. have to be the largest i have ever seen.

The Corsair's are nice and silent with a 120mm+great fan modulation:D
You would be hard pressed with your build to make any of the Corsairs
audible;)

procreate
11-30-2006, 09:40 PM
be kinda nice if i could switch the corsair cables for the seasonic m12 cables... unless those ribbon cables are somehow easier and provide better cable management.

it would be nice to hang around jonnyguru's place to be able to mess with the PSU's and get a better feel for things rather than looking at pics. sadly no stores around me have any of this stuff...

jonnyGURU
12-01-2006, 07:35 AM
be kinda nice if i could switch the corsair cables for the seasonic m12 cables... unless those ribbon cables are somehow easier and provide better cable management.

IMHO, they are easier to manage.

It's so easy to tuck those cables underneath the motherboard and hide them behind the drive bays and stuff.

procreate
12-01-2006, 09:38 AM
really? hmmm. i about ordered the silverstone ST56ZF last night. so the list is getting more narrow now, the corsair HX520W, the silverstone ST56ZF, and the thermaltake toughpower W0128RU. all around the same price. any suggestions between these? or should i move up on the corsair to the 620W?

any suggestions?

it would be great if you did a list like that high end gaming PSU list for high end workstations ["silent"]... i say silent because noise pollution in work enviroments is distracting at times so its either get a "closet" for the computer or build as quiet of one as possible. fortunately, we dont have to max out on video cards like for gaming systems, but we also arent cranking sfx tracks either to cover the noises.

great reviews here though. like your writing style.

syne_24
12-02-2006, 01:41 AM

where were you when I had the seasonic.. :(

originally I wanted the corsair cables on my m12-700 but they wouldnt sell it to me seperately.

procreate
12-02-2006, 03:07 AM
ha! no kidding. i ended up ordering the Corsair HX620W today. basically picking up the last of the new build minus a CPU cooler [looking at that silverstone NT06] and some "silent" fans [enermax ENLOBAL]

we shall see how i can work these corsair cables.... my friend is ordering the thermaltake i think with the same system setup so we are going to compare the two of them [i think jonnyguru took care of the tech specs... we will take care of the look in the case and the sound levels and their relative cable management capabilities]

thanks for you help.

CAD4466HK
12-02-2006, 06:28 AM
Great choice:D
You won't regret it;)

procreate
12-02-2006, 03:36 PM
i hope not or its all your fault ;) jk.

CAD4466HK
12-02-2006, 04:36 PM
i hope not or its all your fault ;) jk.

That's cool, if you don't like it, you can always send it to me;)