PDA

View Full Version : BFG MX-550 Review

burebista
12-05-2008, 04:00 AM
@Gabe (http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/665).
A good unit. I still believe that Gabe have some problems with efficiency. :)
Anyway, 2 minor complaints
The first one was that it burned when we tried to overload it. It is good to remind, however, that the power supply protections entered in action and shut it down three times before we finally killed it.
Seems fair to me, three times shutdown and fourth time it ceased.
The second issue was that the auxiliary fan didnít kick in automatically: we had to manually rotate it with the tip of a pencil in order to turn in on.
Probably a minor glitch in fan controller and maybe that's why it died fourth time. :)

jonnyGURU
12-05-2008, 06:17 AM
Probably a bad fan. I too have to wonder if the fan was running when it should have if the unit would've kept running.

spursindonesia
12-05-2008, 01:49 PM
Honestly, i don't particularly like the way Gabe "overclock" a PSU aka overload it, if a unit tested can achieve good result, is it really a representative of what we can expect out of all retailed product out there ?

jonnyGURU
12-05-2008, 04:17 PM
eh... he's just trying to be different. Find his niche so to speak. I don't fault him for that. What I don't like is what the readers take away from the review. Most readers only read the first and last page and miss the meat in between, so if he says on the last page "I also overloaded an Antec and it didn't die like this one" people are just going to assume that the Antec is a far superior product in every regard, regardless of price, efficiency, etc.

HOOfan_1
12-05-2008, 07:25 PM
He should have at least tried another unit. Hopefully we will get to see some reviews of the Enhance built units as well.

jonnyGURU
12-06-2008, 08:24 AM
Yeah. He didn't tell me about the bad fan at all. I would've gladly sent him another unit.