PDA

View Full Version : Fractal Design Newton 1000W 135mm Fan ( Any good?)

Sneakers
11-11-2008, 05:16 AM
Hey all, about to buy a new PSU, and I stumbled on this quite low price 1000 W PSU. It does promise alot and I was just curious if people heard any about the brand or could readout anything of the specs ( if it sounds good and legit or if it is just a low qual PSU with good marketing )

Here is a copy of the spec sheats and a link to the manufacturer:

Direct link to a very short and precise spec sheat: http://www.fractal-design.com/?view=product&category=3&prod=9

Some goodies from the spec sheat:

"The key features

100% real wattage - this PSU delivers true wattages
Smart Modular - configure the 12V-loads all by yourself
Modular cablings - stop the clutter in your PC case
Silent and 80%+ efficiency - save your ears and the environment
Quality - Durability and extremely low failure rate "

"Smart Modular!
In order to use these 100% real wattages the best way, Fractal Design has created a unique control system - the Smart Modular cablings. With this you have the possibility to configure the loads on the 12V-rails which ever way you want"

- this one sound like heavy marketing talk :rolleyes:

"The power
When you buy a Fractal Design power supply, you can be reassured that you get what you pay for. 100% real wattage, we guarantee that it can run with continous load on the specified wattage. We have even tested running the power supplies at much higher wattages continously than the specified, without any problems. One other important factor with this PSU is that it has a very good efficiency, well over 80%. "

- this sounds good no?

"Available connections
2pcs SATA-cables w/ 3pcs connectors each, totalling 6pcs SATA-connections. One longer cable (65cm) and one shorter (50cm).

2pcs power cables w/ 3pcs molex 4pin connectors each, totalling 6pcs 4pin connections. One longer cable (65cm) and one shorter (50cm).

One power cable w/ 2pcs molex 4pin connectors and 1pcs floppy power connector. 65cm long in total.

2pcs PCI-express connectors w/ 6/8pin connector. Both are 45cm long."

- does this mean it has 4 pci-e connectors to power 2x graphics cards or is it only 2 pci-e connectors?

Looking at pics from their webbie I can spot what I think is 4x pci-e connectors, waddayou think?

:beer:

MrWicked1968
11-11-2008, 05:35 AM
if it sounds to good to be true...

btw, that's all marketing talk.

I'm no expert, but that looks very "topower-ish"

Sneakers
11-11-2008, 05:41 AM
if it sounds to good to be true...

btw, that's all marketing talk.

I'm no expert, but that looks very "topower-ish"

Yah thats what I was suspecting, costs like 150 dollars also while the corsair goes for 280 dollars Oo

Smirnoff
11-11-2008, 06:19 AM
I may be wrong, but I think it looks like an ATNG.

Sneakers
11-11-2008, 06:33 AM
I may be wrong, but I think it looks like an ATNG.

ATNG?

Is this ATNG http://www.atngpower.com.tw/p2-1.htm ?

And is that bad :confused:

Smirnoff
11-11-2008, 06:37 AM
No, more like this model.

http://www.atngpower.com.tw/p2-13.htm

Can't say about ATNG really, but I've heard mixed opinions.

Sneakers
11-11-2008, 06:57 AM
No, more like this model.

http://www.atngpower.com.tw/p2-13.htm

Can't say about ATNG really, but I've heard mixed opinions.

That looks scarcly alike. Only diffrence is the color and that the 6 pin pci-e connectors seems to be on the other side, like they mirrored the order.

Hmm ah well ordered a corsair 1000W since it had 6 pci-e connectors, and since in the future it might be more value for your money to buy 3 low end graphics cards ( since with x58 and ic7 cores 3 way SLI seems to scale much better due to added cpu capacity )

Smirnoff
11-11-2008, 08:03 AM
Mmh, might as well go all out if you're planning on running lots of stuff.

Sneakers
11-11-2008, 09:34 AM
Mmh, might as well go all out if you're planning on running lots of stuff.

Yah well feels like if it's not gonna run on a 620W with 50 amps on the 12v rails then it might not run on a 750w with 60 amps on the 12v rails..a little headroom is always nice, if I had reasoned like that things might been diffrent :D