PDA

View Full Version : xp dvd burning

grimsage
10-06-2008, 09:11 PM
ok guys so here is an issue that has been plaguing me for a while but it was never a big deal until now. i have a SATA DVD burner/DVD-ram the whole deal with 2 different burners, i cannot get XP to recognize an empty dvd as having free space, i dont get an option to format the disk either. i have turned of cd recording in the drive properties, changed the dvd region code, started and disabled the imapi service, and nothing works. i have tried this with 2 different makes of drive and disks. and yes i have actually tested 2 entire spindles in case it was just bad disks, but i find it highly unlikely that 2 whole spindles would be bad. any thoughts? i am using XP pro corp sp3(x86).

mp666
10-07-2008, 10:10 AM
What are you trying to do ? Using a DVD-RAM media ? Or are you trying to burn something to a normal blank DVD media ?

grimsage
10-07-2008, 04:12 PM
trying to burn a regular old DVD with blank DVD media. i have a samsung sh-s203b as well as a lite-on ihas 120-04.

both 20x sata dvd-dl(dvd-ram) burners, both black, both dual-layer. i have tried 2 full spindles of DVD media, 1 was a spindle verbatim 16x dvd-r 's, the other was a spindle of maxell dvd+r 's (RW). both 16x.

i have tried disabling the imapi service, i have tried starting the imapi service manually. i have tried turning of cd-recording in the drives properties, i have tried with it cd-recording on. i have tried updating firmware on both drives, i have also tried using Power-iso and nero to burn DVD's. neither works.

either drive will burn a cd in like 2 min though flawlessly.

Silk_the_Absent1
10-07-2008, 04:22 PM
It sounds as though you are trying to do it without using any burning software, just what is built-in to XP. Is that the case? If so, I've never had much luck doing it that way with DVDs.

-Adam

mp666
10-08-2008, 12:01 AM
XP's own facility can't burn DVDs. To be able to burn DVDs you'll need third party software. You've said you tried Nero. Try imageburn :
http://www.imgburn.com/index.php?act=download
It also has a lot of settings and tools that can help you in solving the problem.

grimsage
10-08-2008, 07:26 PM
i tried powerISO which is a really nice little app. as well as nero. the problem appears to be an issue with the OS not recognizing an empty dvd+/-R/W as having free space on it. normally i would not be too concerned about this as you get coasters sometimes in a spindle. the problem however is after testing like 75 dvd+/-R/W 's not 1 was recognized as having free space and there is no option to format the disk. i tried 2 different brands of disks. both single-layer disks both 16x write speed. both drives support up to 20x write speeds and both apparently will wirte both types of disk at 16x fine according the the drive specs from the different manufacturers, both drives are also in microsofts whql listing as certified for xp and vista, im am running xp pro however.

defredey
10-24-2008, 08:44 AM
Incidentally after reading this section I was discussing the possible causes with my friend and he told me once he had the same problem. Unfortunately he is someone who does not love to get involved into the root of things and therefore called upon a tech support guy who took care of the matter. I guess I can locate that person and know how he got this thing fixed in his case, this might help your cause.

grimsage
10-24-2008, 11:05 AM
i wont complain. any help is appreciated as this has been plagueing me for over a year. i cant help thinking its either something to do with the way my xp pro corp disk is slipstreamed or something like that b/c i have done fresh installs of windows etc a few times and nothing seems to work. the 1 spindle of disks i have i know worked with the very first samsung burner(same model) i had but then just stopped one day. and i just have a difficult time believing more than 50 disks are bad from the factory.

Hutch
12-19-2008, 09:31 PM
Try using ConvertXtoDVD

http://www.vso-software.fr

Don't worry about windows not recognizing the discs as empty. I had the same issues as you before I found this program. Works like a charm.

chrisTian
12-20-2008, 12:42 PM
I get it you have bought spindles with dvd+/-r discs & not dvd-rw. You cannot erase a recordable only disc.
How big is the info you are trying to burn onto a dvd ? If it passes the 2gb limit per file, then you are forced to use UDF type system & not ISO. No way 200 dvd-s have the same problem. It's statistically improbable.
It is possible tt both dvd units are not able to write dvd's anymore. Latest optical media burnt was a cd or a dvd ? Now you can write cd's ? If there's a writing failure of both units, you cannot burn any type of media.