PDA

View Full Version : Network went bye-bye...

Silk_the_Absent1
07-21-2008, 06:09 PM
So I just got back from a two week trip, and it seems that my network has gone to pot. I can't print from my bedroom system to the printer connected to the living room system anymore, nor can either system see each other. I have them on the same workgroup. I know in XP that you can make a network setup disk to run on other systems on your network to get them all on the same page, but I can't find such an option in Vista.

If it helps, this box is Vista Home Premium x64, and the living room box is running XP Pro.

-Adam

mpilchfamily
07-22-2008, 12:38 AM
i may be wrong but hasn't there been allot of problems with network comunication between XP and Vista?

Silk_the_Absent1
07-22-2008, 10:57 AM
It was working before the trip; I just need it to be able to see the printer hooked up to the XP system, I don't need file sharing.

-Adam

Tweaked
07-26-2008, 07:59 AM
Are you running the network through a router or through one of the boxes? Either way, I'd recommend rebooting everything in the proper sequence. Turn everything off, power up the router (or box controlling the network), then everything else.

Silk_the_Absent1
07-26-2008, 11:46 AM
It's run through my modem/router, a 2wire 2700 HG-D. I'll try rebooting them in that order and post the results a little later.

-Adam

Silk_the_Absent1
07-28-2008, 08:28 AM
No dice, I'm thinking the living room box needs a reinstall. Windows has been acting up on it, so it could just be that. Unfortunately, I don't have time to do it quite yet, as I have been unable to find a suitable vehicle (mostly in my price range), so I will be replacing the timing belt on my van ('93 Nissan Quest; which is supposedly a non-interference engine... I hope it is), which went kaput on me right before we left for vacation. It was somewhat... fun, having it decide to go at 60MPH in the middle lane of the highway. All said, it looks like it will be about a 10 hour (total) job, which means it won't be doable in a single day, since it is monsoon season here in NM.

Oy.

-Adam

Silk_the_Absent1
07-30-2008, 12:14 PM
As a side note to update on the vehicle, I started working on it, but realized that Ford and Nissan made it all so proprietary that I would need to go buy a ton of new tools to do it, so I called my old mechanic. They towed it in the day before yesterday. It hit me that I basically placed a $420 bet on the van, since they all (every mechanic I called) want to replace the belt, and if it works, great, if not, crunched valves are likely, but I'd still be out the $420.

Well, I just got a call from them, my bet paid off, no bent valves. I still need the idler pulley on the AC belt replaced, and I'm having them do all three external belts too, so it'll end up costing me around $600, but that's a *lot* better than having to buy a new (used) car.

Seriously, that's a huge load off me. Now I just need to get the network fixed and get registered for my classes for this coming term.

-Adam