PDA

View Full Version : New C2D Build... OCZ GameXtreme or alternitives?

Bun-Bun
11-23-2006, 02:05 AM
Hello, first post here at jonnyguru forums.

First I will let you know the system im building.

E6600 C2D and it will be overclocked (3.5+ GHz) later to be Kentsfeild
680i board
1 8800GTX (for now want to go two)
2 gb Corsair Dominator PC2-8888
2 WD raptors (for now potential for more later... but maybe 1 or 2 more)
Plextor 755SA
X-Fi
Water Cooled (2 x 18w pumps DCC+)
2 x 0.65A Panaflo 114 CFM fans
2 x CF120R logisys fans
several other coolermaster 80mm and 120mm fans

Ok first off I am getting a OCZ GameXtreme 600w cause they are so damn cheap here. However I want to go SLI 8800GTX's but the GameXtreme's only have 2 PCI-E plugs and I am all about clean wires and dont want to use adapters. So I will need to upgrade in the near future and would like to know what PSU I should be looking out for.

There is one catch which is also why I am using a GameXtreme....space.

Due to my mods to mount the dual RAD inside of my case I dont have a lot of room for the PSU. As it stands I have just under 2 inchs between the RAD and the PSU using a GameXtreme. I tried a ModStream and it wouldn't fit (due to the non bending cables and it being 160mm deep) not that I had any intentions of using the modstream I just wanted to test for space.

So my real question is... is there a PSU with enough power for an O/C E6600 (soon to be Kentsfeild) and 2 8800GTX's and have 4 PCI-E connections? While still being 150mm or less deep?

and since im here does anyone see a problem with the 600w and the E6600 and a single 8800GTX both o/c'ed?

Thanks for any advice.

Jon Gerow
11-23-2006, 09:17 AM
There are a lot of "smaller" alternatives I would have chosen over the OCZ.

The CWT and Enhance units, for example, represented by Xclio and Thermaltake are good examples.

Bun-Bun
11-23-2006, 12:18 PM
Either im blind or im not doing the right searches. I am unable to find any Xclio or Thermaltake's that are as small as the GameXtreme. The gameXtreme comes in at 140mm deep while the TT and Xclio are 160mm deep.

Also I couldn't find an definite information on their sites... The Xclio stable power seems to have 4 PCI-E while not being freaking huge like other's I've seen with 4 (like silverstone).

Can anyone link to a good review of an Xclio stable power? They have sparked my interest and I may be able to change my mod slightly to accomadate the 20mm extra on the PSU.

EDIT: Found an XClio on NewEgg... too bad I can not order from there (I live in Canada) and the pictures show that some of the cables are not sleeved. Does anyone know what cables are sleeved or are not? Anyone know where I can purchase one?

Jon Gerow
11-23-2006, 04:14 PM
Either im blind or im not doing the right searches. I am unable to find any Xclio or Thermaltake's that are as small as the GameXtreme. The gameXtreme comes in at 140mm deep while the TT and Xclio are 160mm deep.

Well.. you're also talking about considerably more powerful units (850W and 1kW, for example.) I don't find 160MM terribly deep. You said yourself you have 2". ;)

I see the ePower 1kW is out now too, and it doesn't seem to be too deep, but I wouldn't be too eager to touch that one myself. ;)

Another possibility is to get a solid, smaller unit and then get a 5.25" bay PSU. :D

Bun-Bun
11-23-2006, 04:27 PM
Well.. you're also talking about considerably more powerful units (850W and 1kW, for example.) I don't find 160MM terribly deep. You said yourself you have 2". ;)

I see the ePower 1kW is out now too, and it doesn't seem to be too deep, but I wouldn't be too eager to touch that one myself. ;)

Another possibility is to get a solid, smaller unit and then get a 5.25" bay PSU. :D

Thats an idea but I dont have any free drive bays. The rad and fans hangs low enough to make the top two bays useless (other then for the switches I have installed in the second bay) and my resevoir takes the next three and after that is the two DCC+ pumps and the last bay is the Plextor 755SA drive...

I like the XClio even though it is a little expensive but hey I will be dropping over $1500 CAD into video cards to really its peanuts...

And currently as my mod sits a 160mm ModStream does not fit (hangs about an inch out the back) although that is partly due to the stiffer cables coming out the back. Im just worried about squishing the cables too much between then RAD and PSU.

Although now that I see the Xclio I may be able to move the RAD a little bit more foward giving me some more room. Or (just got an idea) I have a lian-li case that has the back plate for the PSU removable. I could make a spacer that will hold the PSU about 20mm farther out of the case. That would give me lots of room...

Where do I buy an XClio? (Remember in Canada :()

EDIT: Since I lost my job yesterday all I do is sit here and read stuff on the net. So not I just looked into ThermalTake and found this PSU.

http://www.thermaltakeusa.com/product/Power/ToughPower/W0131/w0131.asp#specification

So that is based on the CWT like the Xclio is? It is 160mm deep but is modular so there is less cables to bend in a clump so it might work out easier. Plus it is a hell of a lot easier to get here in canada and has 4 PCI-E connectors. I think this will be what I upgrade to from the OCZ. I still like the Xclio (nicer finish but I wont see it anyway...) but I can't find anywhere to get it.

Jon Gerow
11-23-2006, 09:14 PM
http://www.thermaltakeusa.com/product/Power/ToughPower/W0131/w0131.asp#specification

So that is based on the CWT like the Xclio is? It is 160mm deep but is modular so there is less cables to bend in a clump so it might work out easier. Plus it is a hell of a lot easier to get here in canada and has 4 PCI-E connectors. I think this will be what I upgrade to from the OCZ. I still like the Xclio (nicer finish but I wont see it anyway...) but I can't find anywhere to get it.

Yeah... the Toughpowers are CWT. Actually, the "StablePower" PSU's are Enhance. It's the lower end Xclios that are CWT. ;)

Bun-Bun
11-25-2006, 12:24 PM
I was just going through my design and found a mistake... I had less room then I thought. Now after making the change that I had thought of earlier... given a 140mm deep PSU... I have 39.5mm or roughly 1.5" of room between the PSU and the RAD.

So... with the toughpower coming in at 160mm that will leave me with only 19.5mm (less then an inch) of room to cram cables between the PSU or RAD.

So I either need to find another 140mm PSU that can handle 2 8800GTX's (GameXtreme 850 could but only comes with 2 PCI-E) or modify my case even more (hang the PSU out the back).

Any suggestions?