PDA

View Full Version : DFI motherboards and low +5VSB

Jon Gerow
11-20-2006, 06:02 PM
I've heard a lot of PSU's have problems with DFI boards because they have a low +5VSB.

Fair enough.

But I have to wonder... why?

Then someone reminded me that some Asus boards will let you PICK whether you want your USB power to come from the +5V rail or the +5VSB rail.

I imagine you'd want the +5VSB powered USB ports so Wake-On-Keyboard works with USB keyboards, but +5V load on most USB 2.0 devices is about 0.5A!

So obviously you wouldn't want to have too many USB devices plugged in if you're going to use +5VSB powering your ports.

Does any one know if DFI boards use +5VSB for USB by default? Is there any way to toggle the +5V source on the DFI boards like you can on the Asus boards?

I'd figure it out myself, but after four out of five DFI boards died on me, I ceremoniously rid myself of my lone working DFI board (involved a boat, set on fire, floating down the canal) and replaced it with an Asus.

Thanks!

Bbq
11-20-2006, 07:17 PM
Sounds like a good way to rid yourself of the dfi plague. My dfi, is sitting in a pile with the rest of the dfi's, and supporting my monitor.

Super Nade
11-21-2006, 04:50 PM
I think you have a jumper on the motherboard which does that. I'll look into my test board when I get back from school.

My luck with DFI has been mixed. 1 crap board with a dead DIMM slot out of five boards I've tested out. Not too shabby, but considering the horror stories I've heard from others, I'm just sticking with ASUS or only second hand DFI boards after through interrogation of the seller. :)

I remember somebody made ridiculous claims about DFI being a top-tier server OEM. That had me cracking up for quite a bit. :)

WeStSiDePLaYa
11-21-2006, 10:59 PM
I remember somebody made ridiculous claims about DFI being a top-tier server OEM. That had me cracking up for quite a bit. :)

actually they are, they have been producing server boards for quite some time, also, their server boards are where they get most of their profit.

that aside all of my dfi boards have been good to me. ive had DFI boards since NF2. they always clock the best, and have the most options for tweaking, and give you enough volts to fry your hardware several times.:D

that being said though, they are extremely picky. and they need quite a bit of tweaking to get stable. they also have a tendency to corrupt their bios, so its always good to have a spare eprom with a good bios flash on it.

but when it comes down to it, if you want to do some heavy overclocking, and you want to be 100% sure your mobo wont be limiting you, you get a DFI.

Jon Gerow
11-21-2006, 11:01 PM
but when it comes down to it, if you want to do some heavy overclocking, and you want to be 100% sure your mobo wont be limiting you, you get a DFI.

Well said.

And if you want stability and reliability, you don't get a DFI. ;)

Don't sing me any songs. I've been using DFI boards since 1996 and they've gotten worse since.

Still doesn't answer my question in the OP. :D

Spectre
11-21-2006, 11:08 PM
that being said though, they are extremely picky. and they need quite a bit of tweaking to get stable. they also have a tendency to corrupt their bios, so its always good to have a spare eprom with a good bios flash on it.

Yeah those aren't exactly signs of stellar quality