PDA

View Full Version : Windows XP SP3

mp666
05-07-2008, 07:16 PM
now available again (and was already available from a few locations).

You can get it from Windows update or from :
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=5b33b5a8-5e76-401f-be08-1e1555d4f3d4&displaylang=en

This one can be used to slipstream the OS.

And there is also an ISO download that is larger in size :
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=2fcde6ce-b5fb-4488-8c50-fe22559d164e&DisplayLang=en

There are lots of caveats you should consider before installing. But first of all SP3 does not bring a lot of improvements. So for now nothing wrong with staying at the SP2 level.

A few things you should be aware before proceeding with the installation :

1. If you have IE7 and install SP3, now you won't be able to uninstall IE7. If you install IE7 after SP3, you'll be able to uninstall it without uninstalling the service pack first.If you have an IE8 beta you should uninstall it before installing SP3.

2. If you used tools like nlite to customize you XP installation you shouldn't install SP3.

3. Don't slipstream SP3 in Vista.

4. XP Media Center Edition 2002 : If you have this edition and you're at SP1 level , you should first install SP2 and then SP3.

5. Microsoft Shared Computer Toolkit : If you have this software you'll have to uninstall it before applying SP3.

6. You must login as a User with Administrative privileges.

7. Disable all active security software. Most security software will interfere with service pack installations and create problems. Disable you AV, firewall , anything that protects registry etc. If you don't feel safe this way, disconnect. Of course this would mean that you won't be able to use WU to get the SP.

8. Backup (always a good idea).

I'll try to add more later.

For the record I'm staying with SP2 for now.

Doh
05-07-2008, 11:07 PM
I did slipstream it in vista (x64)and it works FINE, my gf installed off of it ! Of course I used Nlite ;)

mp666
05-08-2008, 06:28 AM
I did slipstream it in vista (x64)and it works FINE, my gf installed off of it ! Of course I used Nlite ;)

Is that a retail XP disc ? OEM and VLK versions are affected and they can't be slipstreamed under Vista.

NOTE : Edited the first message to add a download link for an ISO of SP3.

Doh
05-08-2008, 04:06 PM
Is that a retail XP disc ? OEM and VLK versions are affected and they can't be slipstreamed under Vista.

NOTE : Edited the first message to add a download link for an ISO of SP3.

Nope it's a VLK version !

mp666
05-09-2008, 02:36 AM
Interesting. The problem is acknowledged by MS. You were lucky. Or maybe used some tools to slipstream which may help to explain the situation. So she made a clean install using the new media ?

Doh
05-10-2008, 07:26 AM
Yes completely clean install and no problems...Yes, I used Nlite to slipstream it, but no other changes, or tweaks.

mp666
05-10-2008, 10:51 AM
Ah that's clear now. Nlite made adjustments for SP3. Thanks. Here is their announcement :

Finally the XP SP3 was released so here is the final nLite version update as well.
Just one important thing changed, SP3 Slipstream under Vista. It would reject your valid CD-Key. Not my doing but it is fixed anyway.
So in order to fix the XP SP3 CD-Key issues remake the Slipstreamed version from scratch with this nLite version.