PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of going to Vista.

Silk_the_Absent1
05-06-2008, 06:08 PM
Well, I'm annoyed. To take full advantage of Purevideo, I need to get a compatible media player, which basically boils down to WinDVD ($80), PowerDVD (one of the more expensive ones to boot), or Vista, since Media Center in Home Premium and Ultra supports it. Basically, I'm looking at spending somewhere in the $80-100 range no matter how you slice it. So, with that in mind, I'm probably going to go Vista Home Premium x64 (OEM, of course).

That said, I see two versions on the Egg. Pre-SP1 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832116204) ($100), and with SP1 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832116488) ($110). It bugs me that they are charging more for the disk with SP1 included, when SP1 is free, so I'm leaning toward the pre-SP1 version to save $10, and just updating it myself.

One thing I'm unsure of, is how much space it needs itself. I run multiple partitions, my current main drive (320GB WD) is setup as follows:

System: 8GB, only XP and a couple of *required* drivers are installed here.
Page File: 3GB, I moved the page file entirely here, makes a good amount of difference.
Applications: 15GB, programs get installed to this drive.
Documents: 168GB, I use this instead of the "My Documents" folder, also gives a little performance boost, since Windows caches the My Documents folder.
Games: 104GB, games get installed here.

Now, I assume Vista will need more space than XP, which is fine, I don't use much of the games partition anyway, so I'll resize that, if need be, but I do want to hear from Vista users about how much space they use.

-Adam

flclisgreat
05-06-2008, 06:44 PM
well umm get it like everyone else on the internet gets software. pirate it

Doh
05-06-2008, 06:58 PM
Sp1 adds a couple gigs to your base install on an x64 version. Yhe download is 700 and something vs 400 and something megs and it takes fing forever to install. I have used both versions 32 and 64 bit, and am running x64 now. I am giving you my advice, spend the 10 bucks, all the updates take a loooooong time even at a steady 150k a sec.

It took me into the hours to patch it and the update failed, guess what, you have to start over if that happens, so I dl'ed the sp1 and applied it and worked better.

Doh
05-06-2008, 07:00 PM
On a base install before patch, my footprint was 15 GIGS, about 18 after the SP1...fat cow of an install... and the 15 gigs applies whether you do x32 or x64

Mad Machinist
05-06-2008, 08:58 PM
Hmmmmmmmmmm I have a copy of Win DVD that isnt being used.....if you'd like it I'd be happy to "make ya a deal". or trade for some hardware goodies, either way. If you are interested....drop me a lineeither by PM or email
rnkknr@bellsouth.net

Doh
05-06-2008, 09:24 PM
@madmachinist..unused....is that because powerdvd stomps windvd ? lol

Silk_the_Absent1
05-06-2008, 09:26 PM
MM, It's supposed to be WinDVD 8 Platinum, which is expensive as all hell, and to be honest, I already need to do a reinstall, badly, so I'm thinking I'd rather just go ahead and get Vista. Who knows, by the time Windows 7 comes out in a year or so, they may do discounts or whatnot to owners of Vista like they did for XP folks.

well umm get it like everyone else on the internet gets software. pirate it

No thanks, I'm not a thief.

-Adam

Doh
05-06-2008, 09:30 PM
Hey Silk...it looks like you need some sun really badly man...and the phone goes to your ear ;)

Silk_the_Absent1
05-06-2008, 09:35 PM
Hey Silk...it looks like you need some sun really badly man...and the phone goes to your ear ;)

It's Bub, from George Romero's Day of the Dead.

Oh, one other reason I think I want to go with Vista over WinDVD, the audio codec in Purevideo is supposedly only compatible with WMP. So, with other players, you have to use their codecs, at the possible sacrifice of A/V synchronization. But I do thank you for the consideration, MM.

Sigh, I'm going ATI next video card upgrade. AVIVO is so much easier.

-Adam

Doh
05-06-2008, 10:31 PM
Keep in mind the very real possibility that any speed gains from purevideo may well be offset by the fact that vista does run like a PIG, I may go back to XP, the only thing that has me is more than 4 gigs someday for vm, that and I havent tried xp64 yet, and it costs MORE than vista.

Silk_the_Absent1
05-06-2008, 10:56 PM
It's not the speed that has me on Purevideo, it's the image quality. My monitor is 1680x1050. Blowing up a 480p to that while maintaining good image quality isn't that easy. Yeah, I've used FFDshow and MPC and gotten acceptable results, but Purevideo and Nstant Media or WMP if you want surround sound (which I do since I got my set of Boston Acoustics BA7900's for $50) just blows it away.

Plus, I do a lot of image editing, and I'd like to still be able to at least watch a movie while my system is working on 20 hour+ renders, which isn't doable using a CPU-based decoder.

-Adam

Doh
05-07-2008, 04:35 AM
Ahhh..rendering..now it makes sense..

Silk_the_Absent1
05-07-2008, 08:23 AM
Yeah, Purevideo switches the decoding to the GPU, so there is almost no CPU usage (and higher image quality). My longest single image render was a 3000x2400 version of this (http://img362.imageshack.us/img362/7386/volcanicmountainlaketeswe2.jpg) (for an 8x10 print). It took 3 days, 11 hours, 24 minutes, and 4 seconds. That was three and a half days I couldn't even watch a movie, which is why I went to GPU-based decoding.

-Adam

Silk_the_Absent1
05-07-2008, 08:44 AM
I found it with SP1 for $100 at ZZF (http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=604698). Been a while since I've ordered from them, but they are decent. I may order today.

-Adam

Silk_the_Absent1
05-07-2008, 11:21 AM
One other source of concern, as if I didn't have enough as-is. I'm reading that OEM is tied to the motherboard, so by that logic, different motherboard = different machine = need to buy new license. I'm in a rather unique boat here, since Epox went under. If this board dies, I can't replace it; I *have* to get a different board. And with 939 being dead, it wouldn't make a lot of sense to get an overpriced NOS board with lesser capabilities just to keep my CPU, so I'd be looking at a forced upgrade.

Is there any truth to the above, regarding the motherboard being "the machine" and licensing?

-Adam

mp666
05-07-2008, 12:24 PM
One other source of concern, as if I didn't have enough as-is. I'm reading that OEM is tied to the motherboard, so by that logic, different motherboard = different machine = need to buy new license. I'm in a rather unique boat here, since Epox went under. If this board dies, I can't replace it; I *have* to get a different board. And with 939 being dead, it wouldn't make a lot of sense to get an overpriced NOS board with lesser capabilities just to keep my CPU, so I'd be looking at a forced upgrade.

Is there any truth to the above, regarding the motherboard being "the machine" and licensing?

-Adam

True. But for a home user it doesn't really matter. You can generally activate without problem.

Silk_the_Absent1
05-07-2008, 12:41 PM
So if my motherboard goes sour on me (hell, my CPU or memory too, since if one goes, it's expensive as all hell to replace them all now) and I have to get a different one, I'll be able to activate? I'm sorry for asking so much on it, just that $100 is a good amount of money for me.

-Adam

Doh
05-07-2008, 02:38 PM
I heard ppl just say their mb died and ms let them reactivate.

Silk_the_Absent1
05-07-2008, 02:47 PM
I'm kind of in that situation to begin with. Epox made this motherboard (awesome socket 939 board, I should add), and it's still under warranty, but Epox went belly-up, so if it did die, I'd be in the very real situation of a forced upgrade.

-Adam

Doh
05-07-2008, 03:50 PM
yeah, but they wouldn't need to know anything except, it died and I got a similar replacement board for the same "computer" ;). Vista doesent usually bitch unless you change boards or a lot of stuff at once, like 5 major items...so you should be able to say it "died" and you needed a new board...of course with new ram, hehe, and if you happened to ADD a video card or hard drive later, well, people "add" on all the time.

I think you should check into it more because it might pan out and save you 184 bucks.

mp666
05-07-2008, 05:57 PM
Generally they flush their db every 3 months so it's very likely that you won't have to call for activation. And if you do call , they don't ask that many questions.

Silk_the_Absent1
05-07-2008, 06:19 PM
Okay then. I think I will do it. Only thing now is to figure out how to go about the drivers for my motherboard. The disk only has XP drivers (to my knowledge) which may or may not work with Vista Home Premium x64. If not, I guess I'll have to get chipset drivers from the chipset companies, which should be easy enough. Nvidia for the NF4 SLI driver, Realtech if I ever go back to the onboard audio, and I'm not sure where to get the driver for my network adapter (onboard Vitesse VSC8201), since I can't find any drivers on the Vitesse site. Not sure if I'd need any others.

-Adam

Silk_the_Absent1
05-10-2008, 10:36 AM
Looks like the ethernet controller is covered by the Nvidia chipset drivers, so I think I'd be set there.

When you say they flush their databases, do you mean they get rid of all of the activation system profiles? I'm not used to the Vista activation stuff. My kid sister has 32-bit Home Premium on her laptop, but it was preinstalled, so I've never had to deal with Vista's activation.

-Adam

mp666
05-10-2008, 11:33 AM
It was that way since XP and as far as I know it's the same for Vista. And I found in my notes that it's 4 months not 3.

BTW Vista comes with a lot of drivers inbuilt. Your system may work just fine after the installation (of course updating with the drivers from the manufacturers is a good idea). You may have real problems with Vista if you have printers and scanners (and other peripherals like these) that are not supported by the manufacturer.

Silk_the_Absent1
05-10-2008, 12:38 PM
I have an all-in-one Brother MFC-885CW, which Brother lists a Vista x64 driver for. Plus, it's actually hooked to an XP desktop in the living room, so I just remote print to it. It also works that way on my sister's laptop, so I'm not worried about that.

Other than that, it's just my motherboard, video card, sound card (daniel_k drivers all the way; I'm not taking crippled creative drivers anymore), my basic drives, and whatnot.

Oh, since I'll be doing this with "only" 2GB of memory, would it be worth it to use Readyboost? I have a spare 2GB SD card (got it for free for buying a two pack of ink for the printer), and can pick up a 3.5" drive bay card reader for cheap, which I've been meaning to do anyway.

Sorry to be asking so many questions, but with it being OEM and not returnable, I want to have all my bases covered before spending $100, which is a lot of money for me.

-Adam

mp666
05-10-2008, 04:50 PM
I have an all-in-one Brother MFC-885CW, which Brother lists a Vista x64 driver for. Plus, it's actually hooked to an XP desktop in the living room, so I just remote print to it. It also works that way on my sister's laptop, so I'm not worried about that.

As long as you have other working systems, sure, no problem there. And of course now that you found a driver, it's alright.

Oh, since I'll be doing this with "only" 2GB of memory, would it be worth it to use Readyboost? I have a spare 2GB SD card (got it for free for buying a two pack of ink for the printer), and can pick up a 3.5" drive bay card reader for cheap, which I've been meaning to do anyway.

With 2 GB I don't think that you'll see much difference in performance with readyboost.
An Anandtech test :
http://www.anandtech.com/systems/showdoc.aspx?i=2917&p=5

Sorry to be asking so many questions, but with it being OEM and not returnable, I want to have all my bases covered before spending $100, which is a lot of money for me.

Sure $100 is $100 but 64-bit is the future , Vista is not as bad as it's perceived by the majority of computer users and MS is fixing it fast , plus they support their OSes for a very long time. XP is going to be supported till 2014. that's 14-year of support for one OS. That's cheap in the end. I expect for Vista the typical 5+5 type support. It will be $10/year investment. Good deal IMO. Hopefully you won't have much problem with it.

madmat
05-11-2008, 01:06 AM
which edition(s) of vista has readyboost? I'm running home premium 32bit and I don't see it where I saw it in the linked article. Does it only show as an option when you have a flash device installed?

mp666
05-11-2008, 05:39 AM
All editions feature readyboost. You have to plug a USB2.0 device (with at least 256 MB of free space) and Vista will test it. If it passes the tests (free space and more importantly speed tests) the AutoPlay dialog will include an extra item that reads "Use this device to speed up my system" (or something to that effect). Now you can click it and start setup.

madmat
05-11-2008, 08:31 AM
Thanks, I finally got it to ask me about it and then it promptly told me that my device was too slow to use. Ah well.

mp666
05-11-2008, 03:39 PM
It tests the random read/write speeds (not sequential), thus many flash drives fail the test. If you have 1 GB or more system memory I don't think you would see a real performance increase.

Silk_the_Absent1
05-12-2008, 05:28 PM
Well, I just ordered it from ZZF (http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=604698). Thank you all for your help.

-Adam