PDA

View Full Version : So, How Many of Us Has Made The Move?

madmat
03-09-2008, 06:10 AM
I'm just wondering how many have made the move to Vista? Yeah, it has problems with some programs, there are lots of issues with drivers for older hardware and serial input devices are no longer supported but looking past that it's actually a pretty damned slick OS.

Besides, it seems like everyone is forgetting the problems that XP faced in 2002. I seem to recall all the same faults with XP when it was new. The only difference was that there was no OS of the same caliber as XP to fall back on whereas XP is pretty much capable of duking it out with Vista when you start looking at them from the standpoint of features, benefits and feel. Aside from the "glass" windows in Aero, XP can pretty much be made to look like Vista.

This retards the appeal of the new OS, Had XP been trying to unseat an established OS that had all the features, or could be made to have them, that it brought to the table I think it would have been resisted as well.

The nice thing is that now, due to the resistance to Vista, we can find awesome deals on legal copies. I found Home Premium (upgrade) for $50 shipped. I've since installed it (fresh install even), activated it, updated it and begun installing programs on it. Personally I think it's pretty damned cool. I've run into a few issues with certain programs and that kinda sucks but overall I think it was $50 well spent.

jonnyGURU
03-09-2008, 09:26 AM
Well, I have to admit that I did not migrate to XP until I got a legit copy for free and found I could scale it down to look like 2K.

My laptop came with Vista. Figured it's paid for, might as well use it. And again, I scaled it down to look like 2K.

I'm not sure why Microsoft feels I need so much eye candy. Yeah, things like Google Toolbar and Yahoo Widgets are cool, but even those I kill off after about a month. You start bloating up OS's with that kind of stuff and it starts to get old, it's not as easy to remove.

So my Vista install now, you wouldn't know it was Vista except for the added steps it takes to get to the network settings and device manager (in the hope to make things easier they ADDED steps?) and the three time zone clock.... that's a nice addition.

Microsoft needs to continue persuing more business oriented software like they did with 2000. Even XP had a lot of fluff that had to be undone. Some of us actually paid for programs like "98 lite" because even 98 got a little top heavy. Knock it off Microsoft. Just give me an OS that does what it's supposed to do without all of the extra eye candy.

mp666
03-09-2008, 10:32 AM
I bought last year a copy of Home Premium when building my new rig. I never installed it. I never install a version of Windows before the first service pack comes out, into a production system. But I installed Vista on some systems, it works well, generally at least. I now have Server 2008 beta on my system (a multi-boot one) , it's a solid, well thought operating system and much closer to longhorn than vista.

jonnyGURU
03-09-2008, 10:55 AM
Umm... Vista's past their first service pack. You can use that OS now. ;)

Oklahoma Wolf
03-09-2008, 11:13 AM
No Vista for me. No plans to migrate to it either.

mp666
03-09-2008, 11:36 AM
Umm... Vista's past their first service pack. You can use that OS now. ;)

I know but no thanks (and I know you can get it but I don't think it's officially available to consumers, should be in a few days). I'll sell this one and get a 64-bit version and will wait a few months before installing to see if things are really improved. However I may install this one as another multi-boot option as the beta Server 2008 will expire on April 7.

Will be using XP and Gentoo as my main OSes and XP SP3 is expected to bring a few enhancements and a performance boost. Not ready to ditch XP right now.

mp666
03-09-2008, 11:38 AM
No Vista for me. No plans to migrate to it either.

You know : Resistance is futile !!!

Spectre
03-09-2008, 11:41 AM
Yes, my wife loves it and the new image based install. Her biggest question/gripe was why it took MS so long to implement an image based install. Not so amazingly (since tha mjority of problems are bull) she has had zero problems with her install and use.

Me I still am using XP Pro x64 which I also never had issues with. MS's red headed step children actually behave much better than its main product lines, people just like to bitch to sound cool.

madmat
03-09-2008, 11:42 AM
I'm all about the eye candy. Why use some stripped down OS? (my way of thinking here) If I'm going to use some stripped down OS I'd just as soon learn command lines and go to DOS or Linux. I mean, if my OS is gonna look like windows 95, I might as well just use 95.

I know, I know. Vista, XP and 2K are all that work on the new SATA chipsets. DOS can't see the drives they say. That's funny, IBM DOS in Ghost sees them just fine. I've often thought about throwing 98 on a new PC just to see if it can be made to run on it. Could you imagine just how freaky fast it'd be?

jonnyGURU
03-09-2008, 12:03 PM
I'm all about the eye candy. Why use some stripped down OS? (my way of thinking here) If I'm going to use some stripped down OS I'd just as soon learn command lines and go to DOS or Linux. I mean, if my OS is gonna look like windows 95, I might as well just use 95.

Well, you know the answer to that is support for other software and some hardware.

If I didn't HAVE TO upgrade all the damn time, I wouldn't.

I loved not having to load up Windows until I absolutely needed to and did so by typing "WIN" at the C prompt. ALL games back before '95 ran from a DOS prompt too.

And I'd use Linux in a heartbeat, but there's the same problem: lack of widely accepted applications.

night_wolf_in
03-09-2008, 01:19 PM
not yet. ill wait for vista to mature. it is still young, very young if u ask me. so until then. ill stick with xp. just the way i stayed with win2000 for ages. before switching to xp.

vicong
03-14-2008, 12:11 AM
I am still using WinXP Home Edition at my laptop but now having very lot interest on Linux have been used Fedora,Ubuntu,Frugalware,Knoppix,Mint but feel very comfortable with Slackware..:D
Instead move to Vista, I am more interested to upgrade to KDE 4.0, maybe I will try to running KDE on winxp too. Move to Vista also mean must upgrade my laptop RAM that only 512MB.

I hope more people just move to other free OS (like Linux or BSD etc), Windows and MacOS new version cost too much money and asking for big hardware upgrade too. Maybe if a lot of user move to free OS, a lot of software & games vendor will release their product for Linux or BSD too..:)

Maibock
03-14-2008, 01:28 AM
I swore I'd never get Vista, but I'm looking at an OEM 64 bit Ultimate DVD as I type this. Why did i switch? Honestly I got a decent job and actually pay for all my software now lol, so I'm not so worried about all the DRM and anti-piracy bs in the OS. I at least waited until SP1 was released. I bitch about MS as much as the next guy, yet have owned every MS OS since 3.11 with the exception of ME.

Bbq
03-14-2008, 04:38 AM
I like it. A lot. It's actually quite nice. Not entirely new, but more like the mature version of xp.

A small step forward.

SuperSix
03-14-2008, 08:24 AM
I got a free copy of Vista Ultimate. Installed it on a new drive - it lasted about 30 minutes before I wiped the drive.

Too much bloat that I do not need. That and I can't part with my old ass Leadtek TV tuner. :P

I sold the Ultimate a week later.

Mark

Super Nade
03-14-2008, 09:37 AM
not yet. ill wait for vista to mature. it is still young, very young if u ask me. so until then. ill stick with xp. just the way i stayed with win2000 for ages. before switching to xp.

Same here. I can get Vista Ultimate for $20 from my Uni, but I'd rather not at this point.

Lemmy
03-14-2008, 03:05 PM
I didn't migrate eiteher. I went to a Vista presentation and I wasn't impressed, the features added are useful, but not a must have, not to mention the fact that UAC is the most annoying feature I have ever seen in an OS :rant:
I only installed it a few times, maybe something had changed, but didn't like it.
If I add up, Vista hasn't been on my computer for more that 12 hours in the last year.
I migrated to XP when SP2 came out, so I'm gonna do the same with Vista.

Spectre
03-14-2008, 03:17 PM
not to mention the fact that UAC is the most annoying feature I have ever seen in an OS :rant:

Problem solved:

http://www.petri.co.il/disable_uac_in_windows_vista.htm

Sphere
03-14-2008, 03:30 PM
I've been running Vista since 1/30/07 and haven't looked back . Shortly after installing I sent in for the 64bit disc and have used it since.

Two other pc's have Xp on, and it pains me when I need to use them.

Lemmy
03-14-2008, 03:50 PM
Problem solved:

http://www.petri.co.il/disable_uac_in_windows_vista.htm

I know, I did that every time I installed Vista. You can also log in with the actual Administrator account and It doesn't pop-up that often, like, let's say, when you try to rename a drive :crazy:
But the point is that an OS that has such "features" can't be a good thing, and it's not. And why did they remove DirectSound HAL and gameport support in Vista?
The point is that I don't care about what they did to the code or about the new security features (I think XP is a very secure OS, if you know what you're doing, if you don't, UAC can't save you :D ), I care about what I see and use, and all I see is a prettier and buggier version of XP with much higher system requirements :cool:

cypherpunks
03-14-2008, 09:54 PM
not to mention the fact that UAC is the most annoying feature I have ever seen in an OS :rant:

Actually, this is one of the very few features of Vista that I really really like. Nothing gets to fuck with my settings without my explicit authorization. But then Unix people are used to typing sudo a lot (http://xkcd.com/149/).

There are other reasons—"product activation" being one of the biggest—why I won't touch Vista or non-pirated XP.

madmat
03-14-2008, 10:06 PM
I am still using WinXP Home Edition at my laptop but now having very lot interest on Linux have been used Fedora,Ubuntu,Frugalware,Knoppix,Mint but feel very comfortable with Slackware..:D
Instead move to Vista, I am more interested to upgrade to KDE 4.0, maybe I will try to running KDE on winxp too. Move to Vista also mean must upgrade my laptop RAM that only 512MB.

I hope more people just move to other free OS (like Linux or BSD etc), Windows and MacOS new version cost too much money and asking for big hardware upgrade too. Maybe if a lot of user move to free OS, a lot of software & games vendor will release their product for Linux or BSD too..:)

You won't see a widespread adoption of Linux in any form until it becomes as easy to configure as Windows is. Windows is pretty easy to install new hardware, software and drivers into whereas with Linux it's a lesson in frustration trying to install drivers for hardware if you're uninitiated.

cypherpunks
03-14-2008, 10:41 PM
You won't see a widespread adoption of Linux in any form until it becomes as easy to configure as Windows is. Windows is pretty easy to install new hardware, software and drivers into whereas with Linux it's a lesson in frustration trying to install drivers for hardware if you're uninitiated.

Of course, once you are initiated, it's possible to actually debug driver problems rather than just reinstalling blindly.

The big difference is that with Windows, you expect drivers to be external, and they're easy to add. With Linux, you expect them to be built in. When they are built in, they work better than in Windows, but adding an external driver, while possible, is a PITA.

It's a totally different mindset. You shouldn't have to install any drivers on a Linux box. Just get the latest kernel and there they are.

madmat
03-16-2008, 02:43 PM
Sadly for things like wireless internet and sound cards, finding drivers that are in the distro is nearly impossible. I set up ubuntu on a friend's lappy, it was an older laptop and the wireless card was over a year old yet there were no drivers for it in the distro. Finding them was a battle, there were none and naturally, the Windows driver was useless...

Needless to say, XP went back on the lappy and ubuntu was shown the door.