PDA

View Full Version : Enermax Galaxy: 5 rails, or just two?

Jon Gerow
10-09-2006, 10:41 AM
Yesterday, someone at another forum asked me to "myth-bust" his concern that the Enermax only has two 12V rails (one for each transformer.)

My apologize to that individual that I do not recall who you are or what forums I read your post at. Hopefully, you'll find my response here.

If we look at the article at Hardware Secrets (http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/365/6), specifically this photo (http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/fullimage.php?image=4988), we see that it looks as if +12V3, 4 and 5 are all jumpered over to the same +12V output. Certainly it doesn't look as if there could be any OCP or any true separation of circuits by the photos.

But we should also observe that there are definitely traces coming from the termination of the wires to those "rails" that lead off to separate contacts of a vertically mounted PCB at the edge of the mainboard.

So what is it? Five rails or two?

I wasn't terribly concerned with the +12V1 and +12V2 since those are both CPU rails. I did apply a 10A load to this rail, just to keep things in perspective. Theoretically, this should leave 65A for the other 12V connectors.

I took the PCI-e connector labeled with a yellow/blue wire and put a 20A load on it. The PSU continued to run. I then added a 10A load to the main ATX connector, which is supposedly on the same rail (uses a yellow/blue wire.) The PSU immediately shut down and it's alarm beeped.

I then tried a smaller load of 15A on this PCI-e connector, but when 10A was applied once again, the PSU shut down.

I then took the PCI-e connector with the yellow/green wires and put a 30A load on it. The PSU immediately shut down. With a 20A load on this connector, the PSU functioned normally.

So there you have it! Somehow, jumpers or not, the rails of the Enermax Galaxy are separate... at least in the sense that each rail does have it's own OCP that prevents a rail from being overloaded.

Oklahoma Wolf
10-09-2006, 11:21 AM
That vertically mounted PCB is probably the protection circuitry ;)

Jon Gerow
10-09-2006, 12:23 PM
Yep.

But I wouldn't think that would be able to detect isolated loads if the loads were somehow "jumpered" into one big rail, so something is wrong with Gabriel's photos. :D

davidhammock200
10-09-2006, 02:32 PM
Yep.

But I wouldn't think that would be able to detect isolated loads if the loads were somehow "jumpered" into one big rail, so something is wrong with Gabriel's photos. :DHas to be, as their is no way to detect isolated loads on the rail. ;)