PDA

View Full Version : Pcp&c?!?!?!?!?

kfc
10-08-2006, 11:54 PM
Hey Jonny,

Any plays to review some PCP&C hardware?

The 510 SLI, 750 Silencer and 1kw would make for some excelent reviews!

Oklahoma Wolf
10-09-2006, 12:09 AM
It's been a long time, but he's done the 510. Personally, I'm not sure I'm in much of a hurry to see any of their current units reviewed. They continue to be more expensive than IMO they really need to be.

kfc
10-09-2006, 12:28 AM
A reputable person such as Jonny would give PCP&C an even better name. So many people are buying Ultra and BFG power supplies just because it looks pretty and or that it comes from a name that they trust as far as videcards are concerned. I hear a lot of people (n00bs) talking out of their ass and a review of other products in the PCP&C line would really help out IMO.

Shit give them a 6.0/10 for all I care. Just make sure to note that the rating only reflects their price point and not their performance.

BTW can I have a link to the 510 review?

Oklahoma Wolf
10-09-2006, 01:09 AM
So many people are buying Ultra and BFG power supplies just because it looks pretty

Ultra is good. BFG can be good or bad depending - they used to use FSP server units, but don't anymore.

Here's the review: http://www.slcentral.com/pc-power-and-cooling-turbo-cool-510-express

Keep in mind PC P&C's higher end units are prohibitively expensive. Review samples need to come from somewhere ;)

The Silencers are OEM Seasonic BTW - I haven't been recommending them, simply because one can get actual Seasonic for cheaper.

davidhammock200
10-09-2006, 01:17 AM
Ultra is good. BFG can be good or bad depending - they used to use FSP server units, but don't anymore.

Here's the review: http://www.slcentral.com/pc-power-and-cooling-turbo-cool-510-express

Keep in mind PC P&C's higher end units are prohibitively expensive. Review samples need to come from somewhere ;)

The Silencers are OEM Seasonic BTW - I haven't been recommending them, simply because one can get actual Seasonic for cheaper.But not in a single rail config, unless you know something we don't know. :confused:

kfc
10-09-2006, 02:21 AM
I'm pretty sure that the caps are a bit larger than a seasonic as well.

W/E you say, Ultra power supplies are still a bunch of crap. I've known two guys that both had them. Well, they used to have them.

madmat
10-09-2006, 02:35 AM
What did they have? Original X-Connects? If so Ultra's moved on to better things since then and it's time to stop beating dead horses.

kfc
10-09-2006, 03:05 AM
It’s going to take more than one revision to change my mind.

A reviewer spends maybe a few hours, heck maybe even a week reviewing a PSU. The end user uses that hardware 24/7 in all types of conditions. I'll let the experience that I have seen speak for it's self. Granted they have changed, they used crappy components in the past to make a fast buck. Who is to say it won’t happen again?

If a POS company wants to screw me, I will screw them over by never purchasing or recommended one of their products.

A few years back when a crap load of firestone tires decided to malfunction. Do you think the family members of those casualties forgive let alone still use firestone tired on their vehicles today? This may be a stretch, but it’s a direct correlation.

CAD4466HK
10-09-2006, 04:35 AM
Hey Jonny,

Any plays to review some PCP&C hardware?

The 510 SLI, 750 Silencer and 1kw would make for some excelent reviews!

MADSHRIMPS has a 1kw herehttp://www.madshrimps.be/?action=getarticle&articID=471

madmat
10-09-2006, 04:43 AM
It’s going to take more than one revision to change my mind.

A reviewer spends maybe a few hours, heck maybe even a week reviewing a PSU. The end user uses that hardware 24/7 in all types of conditions. I'll let the experience that I have seen speak for it's self. Granted they have changed, they used crappy components in the past to make a fast buck. Who is to say it won’t happen again?

If a POS company wants to screw me, I will screw them over by never purchasing or recommended one of their products.

A few years back when a crap load of firestone tires decided to malfunction. Do you think the family members of those casualties forgive let alone still use firestone tired on their vehicles today? This may be a stretch, but it’s a direct correlation.

Pretty shoddy analogy, no-one was killed or injured by a malfunctioning power supply.

Jon Gerow
10-09-2006, 06:54 AM
My, this went off topic quickly. :D

kfc:

Ultra's original X-Connect was problematic because the OEM cut some corners on a reorder (they need a better price == they use cheaper components.) But you can't judge an entire brand by one product. Nobody is apologizing for the X-Connect and I'm sure Ultra is regreting Youngyear's lack of QC, but that's no reason to put down the X2 (aka X2-Connect) and the company as a whole. Other Ultra PSU's aren't different "revisions" of the same thing. They're manufactured by a different OEM all together.

You say that you think that somehow "some POS company wants to screw you," well... those power supplies have warranties. So if someone doesn't take advantage of that and get an RMA, the only screwing that's going on there is the user screwing himself.

Using your own analogy, it would be like not considering Bridgestone Potenza's for your 2-door sedan because some improperly spec'd Firestone Wilderness tires blew out on a Ford Explorer. ;) But like Matt said, it's a poor analogy to begin with.
My PSU reviews are about 45% PSU's I've bought, 45% PSU's that were aquired through retailers or the manufacturers and 10% what people send me to get reviewed. PCP&C is too expensive for me to run out and buy out of pocket for a review. And PCP&C isn't pounding on my door to get their product reviewed. On that same note, I haven't asked for any product either because I have a constant work load. :D Maybe Matt can help out with that. :DDave:

Why are you still insisting that the other PSU's that Seasonic make (Corsair, Antec and Seasonic) are not single rail? You're buying into that label on the side as if it "has to be true." I think between myself and Gabe over at Hardware Secrets we've proven ALL of these Seasonic labels are wrong regarding the 12V rail split.

EVEN IF there were two or three separate rails on these units, I've proven that there is no OCP. I put 35A on a single 12V rail when I tested the M12 700W for goodness sake! :D AFAIC, it's a dead issue.

Oklahoma Wolf
10-09-2006, 11:41 AM
But not in a single rail config, unless you know something we don't know. :confused:

Seasonic jumpered all the 12v outputs together on the Corsair and Antec Trio units - didn't take long to verify that once I had good pics of the PCB area around the 12v wires. No schematic needed ;)

madmat
10-09-2006, 11:44 AM
I've asked, trust me I've asked.

Jon Gerow
10-09-2006, 12:28 PM
Photos in question....

Corsair HX620W: http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/371/5

Of course, interpretations of these photos don't always reveal the obvious, but the fact I can put 35A on a single connector does. ;)

davidhammock200
10-09-2006, 02:40 PM
All right the Corsairs & M-12's are to be considered single rails.

What about the S-12E+, Antec HE's & Trio's? :confused:

Oklahoma Wolf
10-09-2006, 03:11 PM
The M12's look to be dual 12v, at least in the case of the 700W. Not sure about the S-12E+. The Neo HE is probably single 12v, and the Trio definitely is.

dBTelos
10-09-2006, 03:30 PM
Moved to Power Supply Forum, obviously :)

davidhammock200
10-09-2006, 04:12 PM
This is going to be fun! :p

Anyone who follows the standards & limits their +12V rails to 18A,
won't be able to power even a single GPU, unless like the OCZ GXS's they have 2 rails for GPU's.

So now everyone claims to have 3 or more rails, but leaves out the over-current protection,
so any single rail can have as much +12V amperage as it wants!

PC P&C using the same basic Seasonic design, says "to hell with the deception" &
states their 610W & 750W PSU's are single rail.

Yep, this is going to be fun! :D