PDA

View Full Version : LC-Power PSU brand question

strumf666
11-05-2006, 08:11 PM
Hi!
PSUs of this brand are among cheaper (and popular :D ) in Slovenia but have been found out have quite stable lines (based on software for testing stability of oveclocked CPUs :D and voltmeter readings on molex connectors).
I am using LC6550GP V2.0 in a heavily overclocked rig (E6600@3,6 X1900XT 256 also overclocked, 2x Raptor 74 (raid0) not overclocked :D ... and my watercooling pump is also on 12V) which is drawing more than 400W under load. I have no problems with stability but I am wondering how good or bad this PSU is compared to other brands. I have searched the forum but I have not found any reviews or comments or posts about these PSUs. Any chance for a review?

Cheers, Peter

manufacturer link:
http://www.lc-power.com/

CAD4466HK
11-05-2006, 08:20 PM
Hi!
PSUs of this brand are among cheaper (and popular :D ) in Slovenia but have been found out have quite stable lines (based on software for testing stability of oveclocked CPUs :D and voltmeter readings on molex connectors).
I am using LC6550GP V2.0 in a heavily overclocked rig (E6600@3,6 X1900XT 256 also overclocked, 2x Raptor 74 (raid0) not overclocked :D ... and my watercooling pump is also on 12V) which is drawing more than 400W under load. I have no problems with stability but I am wondering how good or bad this PSU is compared to other brands. I have searched the forum but I have not found any reviews or comments or posts about these PSUs. Any chance for a review?

Cheers, Peter

manufacturer link:
http://www.lc-power.com/

I'll turn this one over to OW, since he's the resident DEER expert:p That is L&C, right?

Jon Gerow
11-05-2006, 08:58 PM
No. LC is not L&C.

They're better... although I can't say how much better.

Certainly no FSP, Seasonic, Andyson, Seventeam, CWT, etc. better though.

Oklahoma Wolf
11-05-2006, 09:00 PM
Indeed - these are OEM Shenzen Chi Yuan. No idea how good they are, but I've seen the innards and will call them better than Deer ;)

CAD4466HK
11-05-2006, 10:36 PM
I stand corrected:o

strumf666
11-06-2006, 08:26 PM
Thank you for your replies and I have a few further questions :D :
I have a power consuption meter which shows something marked as cosinus fi. What is that? LC power PSUs have this around 0,7-0,85 where Antec TP 550 shows 0,99 almost all the time. Is this about active or passive power factor correction and what does that mean actually? And is there any way to test the efficiency of a PSU without special equipment (electronic loads,...)?

Cheers, Peter

Bbq
11-06-2006, 09:30 PM
Thank you for your replies and I have a few further questions :D :
I have a power consuption meter which shows something marked as cosinus fi. What is that? LC power PSUs have this around 0,7-0,85 where Antec TP 550 shows 0,99 almost all the time. Is this about active or passive power factor correction and what does that mean actually? And is there any way to test the efficiency of a PSU without special equipment (electronic loads,...)?

Cheers, Peter

The LC has Passive PFC (or none) and the Antec has Active PFC. you can tell by the .99.

Efficiency, get yourself one of those things that shows the draw of your power supply, measure the draw that your pc is actually taken, divide. So if your power supply is pulling 400w from the wall but only using 300w of it, then that means 75% efficiency.

strumf666
11-07-2006, 05:51 PM
The LC has Passive PFC (or none) and the Antec has Active PFC. you can tell by the .99.

Efficiency, get yourself one of those things that shows the draw of your power supply, measure the draw that your pc is actually taken, divide. So if your power supply is pulling 400w from the wall but only using 300w of it, then that means 75% efficiency.

I have one of those and that cosinus fi is then apparently efficiency, because it show the result of W(taken)/VA(draw). But that would mean that Antec runs at 99% efficiency, isn't that too high?

Cheers, Peter

Jon Gerow
11-07-2006, 05:57 PM
Power Factor IS NOT efficiency.

W/VA = PF

Efficiency would be (Output W)/(Input W)

A PSU with active PFC would have .99 PF. But that doesn't mean it's more efficient.

strumf666
11-07-2006, 06:16 PM
Power Factor IS NOT efficiency.

W/VA = PF

Efficiency would be (Output W)/(Input W)

A PSU with active PFC would have .99 PF. But that doesn't mean it's more efficient.

Thought so :D

What does PF mean in practice? How much of taken electricity has been used by the device?

How efficient are power supplys for example, best and worst (if it is not under NDA :D )?

Jon Gerow
11-07-2006, 06:32 PM
Power factor isn't really what a PSU uses of what is taken, because the electricity taken from the wall can be measured in different ways.

A PSU will still take as much wattage from the wall, but may take more VA (with DC, W = VA, but with AC, W = VA*PF)

PSU's are typically between 70 and 85% efficient.

burebista
11-08-2006, 01:30 AM
What does PF mean in practice? How much of taken electricity has been used by the device?
Nothing for home user. In fact the only advantage is that you can use your UPS at (almost) full output. For example a 500VA UPS has (generally) 300W output (500VA x 0.6 PF = 300W), but with a APFC PSU PF is ~1 so you have ~500W output from UPS.
You must look after efficiency. Higher is better. A lower electricity bill (not too much, but in time...), less heat to dissipate->lower fan RPM's->more silence.
And of course you must look after build quality.

strumf666
12-06-2006, 11:00 AM
Hello again!
New models are out - Metatron Series. Anyone seen the inside? Better, worse or the same?

Cheers, Peter