PDA

View Full Version : My Conroe build

speedlever
11-04-2006, 11:30 PM
Looking for a recommendation for my Conroe build. No games. Digital image manipulation, general MS Office, email and browsing, Google Earth, etc. usage. I have a mix of external devices (IEEE1394, USB, 3 USB printers, etc.)

Case:
Antec 180b
or
Antec Solo (most likely)

CPU:
E6600

Mobo:
Asus P5B-E

Video card:
Gigabyte 7300GT (most likely)

HD:
2x (haven't decided yet

Optical drives:
2 - DVD-RW

RAM
2 Gigs of RAM to be determined

PSU: looking for a bit of overkill here. I know the 7300GT idles at 135w per spcr. I don't know about the rest of the system. I'm thinking 500-550w PSU.

Would the Seasonic SS-550HT (~$130)
or, Seasonic M12-500HM ($140)
or, Corsair HX520w ($130)

work equally well for me?

I'm working towards a quiet, not silent PC.

Any recommendations?

Thanks.

CAD4466HK
11-05-2006, 01:40 AM
Looking for a recommendation for my Conroe build. No games. Digital image manipulation, general MS Office, email and browsing, Google Earth, etc. usage. I have a mix of external devices (IEEE1394, USB, 3 USB printers, etc.)

Case:
Antec 180b
or
Antec Solo (most likely)

CPU:
E6600

Mobo:
Asus P5B-E

Video card:
Gigabyte 7300GT (most likely)

HD:
2x (haven't decided yet

Optical drives:
2 - DVD-RW

RAM
2 Gigs of RAM to be determined

PSU: looking for a bit of overkill here. I know the 7300GT idles at 135w per spcr. I don't know about the rest of the system. I'm thinking 500-550w PSU.

Would the Seasonic SS-550HT (~$130)
or, Seasonic M12-500HM ($140)
or, Corsair HX520w ($130)

work equally well for me?

I'm working towards a quiet, not silent PC.

Any recommendations?

Thanks.

The Corsair, and I'm sure you can find it cheaper then that ,
where's Dave at?

speedlever
11-05-2006, 09:56 AM
Any particular reason why the Corsair (other than the 5 yr warranty)? I don't think the folks at spcr have tested the Corsair yet. And they're pretty sold on Seasonics for quality and quietness.

I'm just looking for a good reason to choose one or the other of the PSUs. If the Corsair is similarly quiet (as the Seasonics), the bonus would be the modular support.

Based on the noise tables here (http://tinyurl.com/ves6y), the SS-550HT is noticeably quieter in the 200w range than other PSUs. Scroll down to the bottom of the page for the PSU fan noise table.

Thanks.

Jon Gerow
11-05-2006, 10:13 AM
Any particular reason why the Corsair (other than the 5 yr warranty)? I don't think the folks at spcr have tested the Corsair yet. And they're pretty sold on Seasonics for quality and quietness.

I know Mike has one and will eventually have a review written up for it.

And for the record, the Corsair is built by Seasonic.

I'm just looking for a good reason to choose one or the other of the PSUs. If the Corsair is similarly quiet (as the Seasonics), the bonus would be the modular support.

Well, the M-Series is modular too. But I like the cables on the Corsair better. :D

Based on the noise tables here (http://tinyurl.com/ves6y), the SS-550HT is noticeably quieter in the 200w range than other PSUs. Scroll down to the bottom of the page for the PSU fan noise table.

True, because the SS doesn't have the annoyng little 40MM fan the M-Series has. Not that the 40MM fan kicks in very often, but when it does you know it. ;)

speedlever
11-05-2006, 11:06 PM
So all around, you'd call it a more or less a toss-up favoring the Corsair jonny?

I noticed Mike mentioned he had a 520HX for review (soon... whatever that means). But it's been several weeks and I haven't seen any more word.

I sure would like to see the noise numbers as the 520HX ramps up before I buy.

Thanks all for the good info.

CAD4466HK
11-06-2006, 03:02 AM
I know Mike has one and will eventually have a review written up for it.

And for the record, the Corsair is built by Seasonic.

Well, the M-Series is modular too. But I like the cables on the Corsair better. :D

True, because the SS doesn't have the annoyng little 40MM fan the M-Series has. Not that the 40MM fan kicks in very often, but when it does you know it. ;)

I thought it was a 60mm:confused:

Bbq
11-06-2006, 04:52 AM
it's a 60.

I'd buy one except for that one damn fan.
And that it costs a ton
And that my current supply still works
And that I have no money

:(

Jon Gerow
11-06-2006, 07:25 AM
I thought it was a 60mm:confused:

Sorry, 60MM.

The Zippy had the 40MM.

Slartibartfast
11-06-2006, 10:31 AM
Well seeing as now nobody's mentioned it, for your harddrives I would highly recommend the Seagate 7200.10 series. 5 year warranttee, excellent price/gig ratio, and very fast. The 320gb version can be found as low as $80 on sale. I have one as my primary drive and it installed Win XP x64 in about 15 minutes.