PDA

View Full Version : PSU Questions

kimandsally
11-01-2006, 11:03 AM
Hi there, since electricity prices are getting higher and higher I am thinking of swapping my PSU into my wifes and buying another for myself, I currently have a OCZ GameXStream 700 and am thinking of getting maybe a Etasis 750 or 850 because I can get them both cheaply with a discount, or the Corsair 620.

I have a Conroe 6600 heavily overclocked along with a ATI X1900XT also overclocked, with a water cooled loop with 2x DDC pumps along with 9 fans 2 hard drives and 2 DVD drives and a few cathode lights.

I realise at the moment I am under the spec for such a high end PSU like the Etasis but I swap and change so much by 6 months I could have a quad core and 2 graphics cards so I'd rather get something that will be good whatever I decide to do.

Obviously there are other powerfull PSU's like the Enermax and Tagen allthough I would not want Tagen.

So what am I asking? well basically I want the best high end PSU with great efficiency and very stable power for great overclocking.

What would JonnyGuru and David Hammock choose in my situation?

Many thanks in advance to all that reply.

Slartibartfast
11-01-2006, 11:06 AM
What's your price range?

Jon Gerow
11-01-2006, 11:20 AM
WWJD == What Would Jonny Do?

:lol:

kimandsally
11-01-2006, 11:25 AM
What's your price range?

Not too worried really £200 I think would be as much as I want to spend but I would go higher if there was a good reason to do so, I feel the right PSU now could save me money not buying another in 6 months or a rear.

kimandsally
11-01-2006, 11:26 AM
WWJD == What Would Jonny Do?

:lol:

WWJD very interested in your opinion.:)

Slartibartfast
11-01-2006, 11:28 AM
http://img57.imageshack.us/img57/4917/wwjdnx5.png (http://imageshack.us)

Oklahoma Wolf
11-01-2006, 11:29 AM
I feel the right PSU now could save me money not buying another in 6 months or a rear.

I'd probably go for the Etasis 750W myself, but if you have a windowed case the Corsair may be the better option for you. I don't think you'd need to replace either one in six months.

kimandsally
11-01-2006, 11:36 AM
I'd probably go for the Etasis 750W myself, but if you have a windowed case the Corsair may be the better option for you. I don't think you'd need to replace either one in six months.

Are Etasis better than the Corsair? What I mean is hard to describe in short I want like the highest quality components and the tightest quality control, my feeling has always been to buy the best because I think in the long run it should be more reliable and be worth more to resell when I want something different.

Thanks for the replys guys.

Oklahoma Wolf
11-01-2006, 11:45 AM
In that case, you'll want one of the Etasis units. Zippy would be about the only step up from there for me.

Jon Gerow
11-01-2006, 11:51 AM
Are Etasis better than the Corsair? What I mean is hard to describe in short I want like the highest quality components and the tightest quality control, my feeling has always been to buy the best because I think in the long run it should be more reliable and be worth more to resell when I want something different.

Thanks for the replys guys.

Etasis is definitely better build quality. Server grade.

Not as efficient or as quiet as a Seasonic build (Corsair, etc.) but the quietest and most efficient of pretty much any of the server grade PSU's making their way into the consumer level market.

kimandsally
11-01-2006, 12:03 PM

Not as efficient or as quiet as a Seasonic build (Corsair, etc.) but the quietest and most efficient of pretty much any of the server grade PSU's making their way into the consumer level market.

Music to my ears thank you that an Etasis 850 comming to me for my Christmas present. :D

davidhammock200
11-01-2006, 12:03 PM

Not as efficient or as quiet as a Seasonic build (Corsair, etc.) but the quietest and most efficient of pretty much any of the server grade PSU's making their way into the consumer level market.Jonny is right of course, but for the exact same reasons,
I would go with the Corsair for greater efficiency & thus a lower electric bill. ;)

Jon Gerow
11-01-2006, 12:37 PM
Jonny is right of course, but for the exact same reasons,
I would go with the Corsair for greater efficiency & thus a lower electric bill. ;)

Absolutely. Which is why I never try to straight out give recommendations. Everyone has their priorites.

kimandsally
11-01-2006, 03:27 PM
Jonny is right of course, but for the exact same reasons,

Thanks David for your input, I really value yours and Jonnys opinions I do a lot of reading and you two give out honest and unbiased views which is hard to get but even harder is it to find two people who know PSU's inside out, I am for one reason swayed to the Etasis and for another to the Corsair, I really like the modular and efficientcy of the Corsair but the low ripple and super stability of the Etasis, when there are 2 such well made PSU's that can both do the job it makes it a little more difficult for sure.

Thanks again for the help:)

Bbq
11-01-2006, 06:53 PM
Damnit you shouldn't have given me the idea of WWJD :(

(I couldn't find the picture of Jonny blingin' out with the enermax liberty.)

kimandsally
11-02-2006, 08:37 AM
Damnit you shouldn't have given me the idea of WWJD :(

(I couldn't find the picture of Jonny blingin' out with the enermax liberty.)

Absolutetly superb ROFL :D

Jon Gerow
11-02-2006, 08:49 AM
Funny, but images on forums shouldn't be that big.

I need to figure out how to limit image sizes now.

JEDIYoda
11-06-2006, 04:51 AM
Etasis are well built units but after going to there website all there pSU`s have a 2yr warranty. I`m just wondering why?
I also noticed this tidbit on all the specs...
MTBF > 100,000 hours at 75% load and 25°C ambient conditions :D

Jon Gerow
11-06-2006, 07:34 AM
Etasis are well built units but after going to there website all there pSU`s have a 2yr warranty. I`m just wondering why?
I also noticed this tidbit on all the specs...
MTBF > 100,000 hours at 75% load and 25°C ambient conditions :D

Because that's what the estimated lifespan is for MTBF. That has nothing to do with their rating, which is still done at 50C, not 25C. MTBF is often done at room temperature.

Have you asked PCP&C at what load and temperature they figured out their 120,000 hour MTBF? Oddly enough, it's not listed.

JEDIYoda
11-06-2006, 03:08 PM
Because that's what the estimated lifespan is for MTBF. That has nothing to do with their rating, which is still done at 50C, not 25C. MTBF is often done at room temperature.

Have you asked PCP&C at what load and temperature they figured out their 120,000 hour MTBF? Oddly enough, it's not listed.

good question. I think I will....good idea!!! :D

kimandsally
11-09-2006, 06:26 PM
To be honest a power supply never lasts me more than a year I'm the eternal upgrader, heaven knows how may I've already had, I jsut sell them on when something else takes my fancy, only ever blow up was a Enermax Liberty 620
then I had several Tagens that were simply awful massive voltage droop on the 12v I went through 4 or 5 of those all the rest were sold with probably a lot less than 7500 hours on them.
I'm fairly sure I'm getting the Etasis but I have a PC to build this weekend which is having the Corsair in it so if that works nicely I might still get one of those.

kimandsally
11-23-2006, 08:51 PM
In the end I went for the Corsair it should arrive tomorrow, I wanted the Etasis 750 or 850 but only 6 x 4 pin molex would make me have to plug extensions and splitters in, I need 9 molex plugs.

Any idea why a PSU with such a high wattage has so few molex plugs? Seems kind of strange if they are server based there's no high end graphics cards so why so few molex?

Edit;

I just read a review today where the Etasis 750 has 8 x 4 pin molex, my wrong here.

kimandsally
11-24-2006, 01:25 PM
The Corsair arrived today and I'm very pleased with it, much quieter than the OCZ GameXtream and the rails are well, great glad I went for the Corsair I love the cables makes it easy to be tidy now.