View Full Version : The 20 Worst Windows Features of All Times

mp666
07-03-2007, 06:13 AM
I'm sure everybody can add one or two of his own to the list :

http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,133191-page,1-c,electronics/article.html

Super Nade
07-03-2007, 10:14 AM
This is my pet peeve:

There are lots of things you can criticize about Windows XP's approach to software patches. But when we asked around, the biggest complaint by far was how the OS's Windows Update feature (also known as Microsoft Update) pops up a dialog box nagging you to reboot your PC) and continues to do so every ten minutes until you obey. (Ignore it, and the machine may reboot if you walk away for a moment, sometimes destroying unsaved data in the process.) That dialog box is in desperate need of a button marked "I'll Reboot When I'm Damn Well Ready." Windows Vista's version doesn't offer that, but it does allow you to wait up to four hours before being pestered again.

I want to smash my head on the wall every time this #@!$#% dialog pops up....

ianm2
07-03-2007, 12:42 PM
yes my pet peeve is similar, the constant balloons popping up to tell you things...ahh I see that's on the list.

and the fact there are multiple ways to do one thing, too many, I want the os to be simple and accessible, logical and ordered, not some kind of random disorganised mess.

and the growing issue that the companies know best how to run the os, with certain features rather difficult to know how to access, like all the hidden stuff, caches, its my pc, I want to see everything, easily.

the loading and shutting down, and end program thingies strike a big chord.

and the big fact, major gripe is that you pay so much for the program, and don't even get a manual to tell you how the thing works, with most 'hard' products, you do, yet somehow, these computer dicks think people don't derserve manuals with this stuff, you have to buy one separate, or trawl through on screen help, that won't tell you how to install the thing in the first place until its installed

that's a joke imo.

solve that, that I have control over things, and I will be far happier.

mp666
07-04-2007, 09:56 AM
This is my pet peeve:

I want to smash my head on the wall every time this #@!$#% dialog pops up....

I hate automatic updates and turn it off for every installation I have. I recommend the same to everybody who can spend some time on reading MS's advisories and bulletins. I also advise to never use WU for hardware driver updates.

D1337
08-17-2007, 01:31 PM
I actually like windows explorer (not IE i hate ie with all my guts)

mp666
08-18-2007, 11:55 AM
The two are the same thing, you know that, don't you ? But I understand you, I worked with (and have) alternative file managers and I always come back to WE.

signmeuptoo
09-02-2007, 01:44 AM
I like the file manager in KDE, myself, and firefox. Yes, there are some minor hassles to setting up Linux, and installing software is not always as simple as point and click because you need libraries and all, but the look and feel of KDE or even gnome is way better IMHO than how things are set up in Windows, and Vista programs menu is terrible, totally annoying.

And though you have to enter a password to get root in Linux to make some major changes and installs, it is better than how Vista does permissions, even though I don't have to enter my password in Vista for permissions it still annoys me more than in Linux, greatly because the Linux implementation clearly is more secure.

There is one thing I don't like in KDE: You can't stretch the taskbar to be more than one row tall as you can in Windows, and I like to customize my taskbars heavily, adding directories on them so I don't have to go to start->programs->yadda yadda... I don't like how I don't have enough room for stuff in the KDE taskbar, but other than that, it is way better, it does so much more and is so much more custumizable.

mp666
09-03-2007, 05:09 PM
Look at Beryl if you want an impressive desktop management. I'm no penguin but I'll be looking closer at some of distros this year.