PDA

View Full Version : truepower 430 (not truepower v2) with new system?

you2
10-23-2006, 11:43 AM
Is there any reason not to continue using the 4 year old truepower 430 I have when I build a new system. I will of course require a 20 to 24 converter (and perhaps a 4 to 8 converter). This psu has 20 amps on the 12v rail.

The new system will be a desktop/server not a game system - so it will have a low end graphic cards (7300gs or voodoo3 2000) and 4 hard disks/1 optical. The calculators i use indicate it should be more than enough power but i've been told it lacks the amp for moderm amd system (this will either be an amd 939 system or duo 2 core - 6300) and that weak power could damage the system. (The amd mb I own requires 24amps on 12v). (I'm buying a new mb/duo 2 core - but will either use the current 'game' system mb as the server board or this new mb - hence hte confusion).

As with the current system it will run 24/7 and will not be overclocked. My feeling is that this should be more than ample power but (per above paragraph) i rahter not risk 500 mb+cpu+ram over an $80 psu if there is concern.

This is more of a convenience of not having to rip out the psu from the current case and wait until i buy a new case (6 months or so -the one i want is out of stock) and new psu. Also the true power (with the current case) has fan control and the mb lacks the header.

Jon Gerow
10-23-2006, 11:56 AM
If you think the 12V @ 20A is ample for your new build, at the very least open the unit up and make sure you don't have any buldging secondary caps.

GalvanizedYankee
10-23-2006, 12:03 PM
http://www.theflyingpenguin.com/ >My Blog...Half way down the page, 09/17/05 read it very well. I happened to be "the someone on Anand's".

Froogle an Enhance ENP-5140GH for < $55. ;)

you2
10-23-2006, 12:19 PM
Ok thanks. Had sort of hoped that all my 2002 equipment managed to avoid the leaky cap syndrome but i guess some stuff is still failing. I guess I'll play it safe and go with a 500w silverstone or enhance (I figure i'd go with 500w instead of 400w as long as I'm replacing the unit) to give some head room in case i add some more drives et all in the future.

clsA
10-23-2006, 12:22 PM
hurry you can get this one free AR
Ultra V Series 500W Power Supply
Their nice PSU and worth the $40 ..i think
Single 12v @ 28a

Or an Xclico Goodpower 500w would work nicely for around $50

Review
http://www.jonnyguru.com/PSU/V-Series/V-Series.html

Buy it
http://shop1.outpost.com/product/4587977?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

davidhammock200
10-23-2006, 06:36 PM
hurry you can get this one free AR
Ultra V Series 500W Power Supply
Their nice PSU and worth the $40 ..i think
Single 12v @ 28a

Or an Xclico Goodpower 500w would work nicely for around $50

Review
http://www.jonnyguru.com/PSU/V-Series/V-Series.html

Buy it
http://shop1.outpost.com/product/4587977?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PGThe XCilo GoodPower 500W is a very nice PSU for only $49, that Ultra 500W should be avoided,
however Jonny says the Ultra V 600W & 700W are much better. ;)

you2
10-23-2006, 08:23 PM
Well - as I noted - if I'm going to buy a new psu it will be either the enhance ofr the silverstone sf50 - mostly depending on which of the two vendors i pick. Given that this system will literally run 24/7 i might as well as go with a decent psu. At one point it ran for over 3 years without a reboot - then the power went out. bleh.

Hopefully the new system will be as stable.

CAD4466HK
10-23-2006, 08:35 PM
At one point it ran for over 3 years without a reboot

What the hell OS are you useing:confused:
I know it wasen't Windblowz:crazy:

you2
10-23-2006, 09:02 PM
freebsd -- but after 10 years of freebsd i'm switching to linux (long story).

btw if you use mac-osx you use freebsd.

I use windows for games but i know very litlte abuot windows internals/services/custom configuration so I don't really trust it with anyhting that needs to be secure - I have a much better understanding of unix services - how to detect them - run what I want and disable what i dont' need....

CAD4466HK
10-23-2006, 09:09 PM
freebsd -- but after 10 years of freebsd i'm switching to linux (long story).

btw if you use mac-osx you use freebsd.

I use windows for games but i know very litlte abuot windows internals/services/custom configuration so I don't really trust it with anyhting that needs to be secure - I have a much better understanding of unix services - how to detect them - run what I want and disable what i dont' need....

See, I knew you wern't useing any of Mr.Gates OS's:p

you2
10-24-2006, 08:45 AM
windows xp isn't that bad. My problem with it is that it is a pain in the arse when it doesn't work correctly. For example - there is no simple boot log (ala unix) that can give you a reliable indication of what fails the boot.

[Fyi: I will post once more to this thread with regards to the condition of the capacitors in my truepower in a couple of weeks providing it is easy to open the psu with a common screw driver - the motherboards I purchased in this era avoided the 'bad' capcitors and with luck so did the psu :) ]

clsA
10-24-2006, 11:13 AM
- the motherboards I purchased in this era avoided the 'bad' capcitors and with luck so did the psu :) ]

Lucky You ...I lost an Epox 8rda (From TCWO :rolleyes: ) and 2 Antec 350's to bad caps

Jon Gerow
10-24-2006, 11:28 AM
Lucky You ...I lost an Epox 8rda (From TCWO :rolleyes: ) and 2 Antec 350's to bad caps

I think about 80% of the 8RDA's we took back at TCWO had bad caps on them. :(

clsA
10-24-2006, 12:11 PM
I think about 80% of the 8RDA's we took back at TCWO had bad caps on them. :(

Yeah i just Ate mine, I got 2 good years from it
I don't rma something I got my moneys worth out of ;)

And if I remember right TCWO sent me new northbridge fans twice for free ...lol

Oklahoma Wolf
10-24-2006, 12:13 PM
I just recapped an 8RDA that was full of bad caps - the former owner complained about spontaneous reboots and said I could keep it. Now I have two good nForce2 boards with which to build another system :)

clsA
10-24-2006, 12:21 PM
I just recapped an 8RDA that was full of bad caps - the former owner complained about spontaneous reboots and said I could keep it. Now I have two good nForce2 boards with which to build another system :)

you'll need a volt mod on the that 8rda too i think to get it stable with a 2400xp or up ...maybe why I just Ate mine ...

and the A7N8X-E Deluxe was a great replacement ..I was ready to move on

Oklahoma Wolf
10-24-2006, 12:35 PM
Probably won't be doing any modding - it was running a Barton already when it got flaky. My friend replaced it with an A7N8X.

This one's probably going to just be for backup in case the old Aopen AK79G-Max ever goes. Since the Aopen has fan control I'm hoping to use it and an FSP Zen for HTPC use sometime in the future :)

you2
10-24-2006, 01:25 PM
Hum. I guess I was very lucky. I built three machines in 2002/2003 and all of them have worked flawless (including one that was on 24/7) - cept for one 30$ dvd-rom that died. Hum. Alas, they are hopelessly slow by todays standard. Hum - they were: asus a7v333; msi KT3 Ultra2; Albatron KX18D Pro. Hum... Arg. The Albatron system has a true power 430 - so that's two of them that haven't failed on me.

you2
11-01-2006, 10:27 AM
I'm going to take the truepower out of the case thursday or friday. Is there anything you are interested in knowing about the internals with regards to possible leaky capacitors? This unit was purchased mid 2002 and has been in use 24/7 for 4 years without issues.

Oklahoma Wolf
11-01-2006, 11:06 AM
I'll leave it up to you to check for bad caps... I would though with a CWT unit that old and that heavily used.

GalvanizedYankee
11-01-2006, 11:07 AM
Yeah! Raise the hood and look for swollen, tilting or vented caps.
If the Fuhjyyu's were lightly loaded in a well ventilated case, located in an area with cool ambients, it may still be a good working unit.

IIRC, OK Wolf is looking for old True/SmartPower PSUs that need repair.

Oklahoma Wolf
11-01-2006, 11:09 AM
Nope, I already have a patient... can't afford to do more than one.

you2
11-03-2006, 12:24 PM
Hum. Er - rather embarrassed but how do I open the psu? I'd like to do so in a fasahion that leave it usable (i.e., not remove screws that do not need to be removed). There are four smallish screw (one hidden by the ssn seal) on the fan side. Do these four screws allow the case to be opened?

There are also four other screws that use some sort of non standard allen wrenchish top. Do these screws need to be removed (if so what tool?).

I presume none of the screws on the side need to be removed. Btw the motherboard (ausus a7v333 which was used with this psu seems to show no sign of leakage or other undesireable effects). Not sure what I should do with it :)

GalvanizedYankee
11-03-2006, 01:25 PM
Remove the four philips head screws and pop the cover off. That sticker over that one screw is for warrenty.
Pics of bad caps at http://www.badcaps.net/ident/
Google, replacing PSU fan for a tutorial on opening a PSU.

you2
11-03-2006, 10:37 PM
Hum. Ok I opened the psu up. One of the capacitors looked like there might have been a small bulge (but not much). The others looked fine. There was some brown stuff on top of two of the capacitors but i think it was epoxy rather than leakage since the similar brown stuff was on the transformer. I could not see the base of the capacitors very well...

Oklahoma Wolf
11-03-2006, 11:01 PM
One of the capacitors looked like there might have been a small bulge (but not much).

A bulge of any size is a bad cap - I'd retire or recap that unit.

you2
11-04-2006, 01:41 PM
hum. not sure.