PDA

View Full Version : Dell: Do you want Linux? (survey)

Kab
03-17-2007, 10:45 PM
Dell (http://www.dell.com/) has posted a survey at its website where users can fill in how they would use Linux, with what Dell model, what you would use your computer for, language, etc. There no other interpretation of this than that Dell is still thinking of launching computers with a preinstalled Linux. Those of you who want to affect the outcome and give Dell a push in the right direction can head over to Dell's website and its linux survey (http://www.dell.com/linuxsurvey).

:D

Steeeeve
03-17-2007, 11:30 PM
What if we don't like Linux? :p

Kab
03-17-2007, 11:45 PM
Your choice entirely ;)

Since I run 4 Linux distro's multi-booted anyway, and more of the younger generation is preferring Linux over MS like Firefox over IE, I might aswell vote Ubuntu for them :p

jonnyGURU
03-18-2007, 08:15 AM
I'm about two or three years rusty on the Linux. Maybe not that long since I built up some Fedora based VoIP servers we decided to play around with... but I wouldn't mind giving it a go again. There's nothing to be "afraid of" when it comes to Linux. And I've found that apps like Win4Lin actually make running Windows apps on a Linux platform even smoother.

Kab
03-18-2007, 10:29 AM
I've got many installs with Linux, 60% just use VMware for the installs through Windows ;)

For work in Linux at home I use Xandros Business Edition, which I received free although it costs usually and its the best of both worlds by far. Lets me take off the external HDD from home and continue work at office perfectly on the same platform with Windows software too.

Steeeeve
03-18-2007, 05:05 PM
I'm about two or three years rusty on the Linux. Maybe not that long since I built up some Fedora based VoIP servers we decided to play around with... but I wouldn't mind giving it a go again. There's nothing to be "afraid of" when it comes to Linux. And I've found that apps like Win4Lin actually make running Windows apps on a Linux platform even smoother.

My biggest issue with Linux is the elite attitude some people have that use it. I run a lot of accounting software on my computer that all takes Windows. I also have interfaces with various places that again require Windows. I suppose that I could figure out ways to make it work but that isn't worthwild to me :)

Spectre
03-18-2007, 05:30 PM
Still prefer Slowaris.

Kab
03-19-2007, 05:49 AM
My biggest issue with Linux is the elite attitude some people have that use it. Sure?
I've come across worse on many forums than you can expect off someone using Linux. I do however admit that to a complete noob many act pretty all-high, which I experienced on the Ubuntu board a while back when running into problems.
They deducted that using Linux = more intelligent :crazy:

Its just an OS. We have to use many OSes at work and this is one, and I don't see anything to act elite about for those you say do. ;)

The problem most likely exists with those people anyway, even if they didn't use it :o

uOpt
03-19-2007, 11:28 AM
My biggest issue with Linux is the elite attitude some people have that use it.

If you think that's bad you should try one of the BSDs :)

In general, Linux people giving advice have more problems with ignorance than arrogance.

Steeeeve
03-20-2007, 12:01 AM
If you think that's bad you should try one of the BSDs :)

In general, Linux people giving advice have more problems with ignorance than arrogance.

haha, yeah...I do wish they would come out with a competing operating system that was the real thing though. I guess the only folks that could even attempt to pull this off is Google.

CAD4466HK
03-20-2007, 12:03 AM
Remember Lindows? :lol:

Kab
03-20-2007, 06:27 AM
Remember Lindows? :lol:Linspire ;)

doublejack
04-04-2007, 11:51 AM
My biggest issue with Linux is the elite attitude some people have that use it. I run a lot of accounting software on my computer that all takes Windows. I also have interfaces with various places that again require Windows. I suppose that I could figure out ways to make it work but that isn't worthwild to me :)

Application compatibility is an issue for linux. But it's like that with any OS that is different. For example, look at how many programs won't run on Vista. MS has the resources to correct the compatibility issues rather quickly, and software writers have incentive - the ability to sell to a large user base - to fix things on their end. The problem with Linux is that it lacks either of those.

As far as Linux users with attitude, do I sense jealousy? :p Seriously, gaining freedom for MS is very liberating and maybe that's the attitude you are sensing. I definitely feel like I'm not one of Bill Gates' slaves anymore, and not a pirate either - but my own man. I try to not let it get to my head, but can't help it sometimes. Either way, I think Mac users are worse :D

kimandsally
04-21-2007, 06:45 AM
I ordered some ubuntu discs and thought I's try it, I couldn't even get it to run, I cannot remember what was wrong but I submitted an error report and to give them credit they did send me a reply within 24 hours but it didn't fix it, in the end I gave up.

I then downloaded Mandrake which also wouldn't run.

To give Microsoft credit any idiot like me can get a system up and running which is very convienient, yet I only know one person who uses Linux, if it were easier to get running maybe it would be more common, I have used it on the friends PC and I have a knoppix CD which is usefull when XP won't run but why is so difficult to install?

Kab
04-21-2007, 12:09 PM
kimandsally:

Get VMWare Player (free) and then download one of it's pre-built appliance packages for any Linux distro (I have about 11 running right now) and INSIDE of Windows, you can have another operating system running and check it out that way. ;)

No need to uninstall, install OS and what not. Run it inside Windows, at the same time as a VPC, i.e. a software PC. That's teh better way to check it out fully or using the Live CD's.

Then if you happen to like something, you can always dual-boot it or install it fully as an OS on a separate HDD.

IDK what your issue was, but with a bit of troubleshooting it's pretty easy to fix nowadays with the common distro's. Just the fact that it's a completely different OS and not Windows is the difficulty for most users. It takes quite a bit of understand, time, effort and use to get adapted to Linux.

signmeuptoo
04-24-2007, 09:13 PM
Huh, installing Linux is pretty darned simple for the most part, sure, some of the stuff is a little cryptic, like setting up your NICs during the install. I would love it if developers would form teams of people who would just create tutorials. I'd volunteer to be on such a team when I have the resources myself if I am useful. I LOVE Linux, I generally use SuSE, don't have it right now because I have lost much of my HD space, but SuSE is a joy.

One issue with Linux, being that it is free and open source, is the lack of official and "fully legal" support for being able to play media such as MP3s. I wish that some legal changes were made so that all distros of Linux would natively support these media formats, and heck, if it cost, say, 2 or 3 bucks to have that as a feature, what the heck... To me it is like more of the typical music media/industry complex oppression against people getting things the way they want them for a fair price.

The main problem with Linux is that while there is a lot of documentation, much more than with Windows, accompanying each distro, the documentation is written in a cryptic language by men who are poor communicators but great programmers. Just ask their wives, heh. If that could be changed, drastically, and Linux was easy to figure out if a person had the time and patience to read, all would be SO much WAY better, at least for me, becuase often I cannot figure out what some of the files say/mean myself...

The world needs linux to florish.

Telstar
06-15-2007, 08:28 AM
My biggest issue with Linux is the elite attitude some people have that use it.

ditto!

D3vastator
06-20-2008, 01:45 PM
I prefer Windows XP SP2 or Ubuntu over Linux.

Spectre
06-20-2008, 01:54 PM
I prefer Windows XP SP2 or Ubuntu over Linux.

Ubuntu is a Linux distro.......

cypherpunks
06-21-2008, 03:56 AM
To give Microsoft credit any idiot like me can get a system up and running which is very convienient, yet I only know one person who uses Linux, if it were easier to get running maybe it would be more common, I have used it on the friends PC and I have a knoppix CD which is useful when XP won't run but why is so difficult to install?

I don't know; I've had more trouble installling Windows, myself. For example, recently I had a SiS motherboard chipset whose SATA controller would spew thousands of interrupts per second if it was enabled. Thanks to multi-core processors, it took months to notice that one core was doing nothing but servicing interrupts in a tight loop, but after complaints about jerky video playback, I looked into the matter.

It was a nightmare just figuring out which interrupt was hogging the CPU, and I couldn't fix it. I finally gave up and bought a plug-in SATA controller.

With Windows, it either works immediately, or you're f***ed. There are some people who know how to debug Windows, but it's extremely esoteric. Linux has a well-defined boot sequence controlled mostly by simple text files, and if it breaks somewhere, it's quite straightforward to debug.

It takes some reading and skill, but there isn't the same sort of quantum jump in difficulty when you want to do something unexpected.

I wonder how many people who give up after the most basic "point and drool" attempts aren't so much lazy as have been taught by Microsoft that it's futile to try harder.

ianm2
06-22-2008, 05:37 AM
I tried ubuntu recently a couple of times after terminal probs. with xp/vista.

I gave up on it, I would love it if it was usable, but I couldn't configure it, some of my drivers wouldn't work.

if it was a one click install, easily configurable, yes, but I am stuck with xp I am afraid, I can't understand some of it, all this computer code speak needs to go for home users, and simple plain english explanations of what is what, ie all that internet coding, everything I do with a pc is a whole learning experience, every item is different, you can be an expert in each component...ie sound cards, takes ages to understand all the decoding stuff alone let alone gfx cards, processors, mobos, busses, psu's....ad inf..