PDA

View Full Version : I hope this CPU works! Socket AM3

Jon Gerow
12-30-2017, 12:35 PM
Mom's got a Compaq with an AM3 socket board. In it is an Athlon II 170u (2GHz).

Found an outfit in Korea on eBay selling tons of X4 640's (3GHz) for $25 + free shipping. My guess is a gray market offload from some big Korean SI.

Also AM3, of course, but also 95W so I assume it should work.

I understand the higher TDP CPUs don't work well in this board.

Funny thing about this board... It's an Asus M2N68-LA. Apparently made just for Compaq. There's an Asus M2N68 variants, but not with the "LA". Also with different sockets (AM2+, for example). Hopefully I won't need a BIOS update as I can't find one anywhere. Not even HP/Compaq's website. :(

-The_Mask-
12-30-2017, 02:12 PM
It should work, but I would recommend a top down cooler for cooling the VRM.

Tator Tot
12-30-2017, 09:37 PM
The Athlon II 170u & X4 640 were both released at the same time (May 2010) on the C3 revision of their 45nm node for the K10.5 architecture and both use the same AGESA Microcode.

So you should be able to slap the chip in without too much trouble. I would go with what Mask says and definitely get a down-draft cooler for the chip. Probably an AM3 Wraith if you can. You can get a used Wraith for $20-25 shipped, generally labeled as "used" but many are basically BNIB and were never taken out of the packaging.

If you have anything like Enzotech Mos-C1 (https://www.amazon.com/Enzotech-MOS-C1-MOSFET-Heatsinks-Pack/dp/B004CLDIHK)'s laying around you could slap them on the VRMs as well to help out.

ashiekh
12-30-2017, 11:08 PM
I run Windows 10 (free update from Windows 7); does anyone know how much one can upgrade without losing the license?

I upgraded an Intel machine from a Core 2 Duo to a Quad and that lost me the license; would the same apply to this discussion?

I also have a Dell Inspiron 570 with an Athlon II in it, and would be nice to upgrade that to a Phenom II

-The_Mask-
12-31-2017, 05:40 AM
With only a CPU change you should be able to use the same license code if you need to reactivate. But when you change the motherboard it most likely won't work.

Jon Gerow
12-31-2017, 10:45 AM
Yeah. Pretty sure the license doesn't look at the CPU. I've changed many in the same board. But once you changed the board... goodbye license (well... you call the 1-800 number and explain, but you know what I mean).

ashiekh
12-31-2017, 12:50 PM
As I mentioned, I had a license issue when moving from 2 core to 4 core; I got lucky when replacing a Dell mother-board by giving the new board the same Service Tag as the old.

I don't use a license code as it is "activated with a digital license" and that might make a difference.

Jon Gerow
12-31-2017, 04:20 PM
Really? That's surprising. Sure nothing else changed? We change CPU all the time at work and keep the same SSD with the same Windows install.

ashiekh
12-31-2017, 07:45 PM
Really? That's surprising. Sure nothing else changed? We change CPU all the time at work and keep the same SSD with the same Windows install.

Well, you can tell us what happens when you move the Athlon II from dual to quad; I'd go for a Phenom II myself, maybe an X6

Tator Tot
12-31-2017, 08:35 PM
Well, you can tell us what happens when you move the Athlon II from dual to quad; I'd go for a Phenom II myself, maybe an X6
That board doesn't have the VRM to handle a Phenom II x6. Maybe not even an x4 as it's a super low end board that was also stripped down some.

ashiekh
12-31-2017, 09:50 PM
That board doesn't have the VRM to handle a Phenom II x6. Maybe not even an x4 as it's a super low end board that was also stripped down some.

How about the Dell Inspiron 570?

Tator Tot
12-31-2017, 09:58 PM
How about the Dell Inspiron 570?
I would have to know which board your Inspiron 570 has.

ashiekh
01-01-2018, 12:32 AM
I would have to know which board your Inspiron 570 has.

Found it

http://downloads.dell.com/manuals/common/inspiron-560_user%27s%20guide_en-us.pdf

* AMD Sempron
* AMD Athlon II X2/X3/X4
* AMD Phenom II X2/X3/X4

so I guess it does not support the Phenom II X6, at least not officially

Tator Tot
01-01-2018, 01:42 AM
Found it

http://downloads.dell.com/manuals/common/inspiron-560_user%27s%20guide_en-us.pdf

* AMD Sempron
* AMD Athlon II X2/X3/X4
* AMD Phenom II X2/X3/X4

so I guess it does not support the Phenom II X6, at least not officially
I wouldn't use more than a 65w TDP chip on that board. It has a very anemic VRM. Like wise, same advice as I gave to Jonny and I would make sure to use a downdraft cooler to blow air over the VRM.

Stefan Payne
01-01-2018, 10:40 AM
Funny thing about this board... It's an Asus M2N68-LA. Apparently made just for Compaq. There's an Asus M2N68 variants, but not with the "LA". Also with different sockets (AM2+, for example). Hopefully I won't need a BIOS update as I can't find one anywhere. Not even HP/Compaq's website. :(

I'd be worried about the chipset more.
Its known to fail, sadly...

So to get the most life out of it, its best to use a graphics card in that system - if that is possible.

Stefan Payne
01-01-2018, 10:44 AM
But once you changed the board... goodbye license
no
If you have a MSN Account and use that to login to windows, you can use that to activate the windows.

At least that's how it is for me here in Germany, can be different in the US though.

Tator Tot
01-01-2018, 10:47 AM
no
If you have a MSN Account and use that to login to windows, you can use that to activate the windows.

At least that's how it is for me here in Germany, can be different in the US though.
With Windows 10 you can use a Microsoft account to transfer license between systems, but that doesn't work on Win 8.1/earlier

Jon Gerow
01-01-2018, 10:57 AM
I'd be worried about the chipset more.
Its known to fail, sadly...

So to get the most life out of it, its best to use a graphics card in that system - if that is possible.

I plan on putting a graphics card in there. I have plenty of old ones lying around.

With Windows 10 you can use a Microsoft account to transfer license between systems, but that doesn't work on Win 8.1/earlier

Correct. This PC has Windows 7.

ashiekh
01-01-2018, 11:39 AM
I wouldn't use more than a 65w TDP chip on that board. It has a very anemic VRM. Like wise, same advice as I gave to Jonny and I would make sure to use a downdraft cooler to blow air over the VRM.

Good to know; I think I'll stick with the Athlon II X2 that came with it, I already had to replace the motherboard once (bad RAM sockets)

My problem is that I always look at the downsides of an idea, so often end up not implementing it. First place I go with reviews is the one star group.

ronss
08-09-2018, 11:29 AM
Socket type: AM2
Motherboard supports the following processor upgrades:
Athlon 64 X2 with Dual Core technology up to 5600+ (up to 89 watt)
Athlon 64 less than 4000+
Sempron less than 3800+

what the board supports
https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01080282/

u should be able to find one of these off ebay with no problem

ashiekh
08-09-2018, 12:47 PM
The problem for me is knowing if the Windows 10 license will stay operational or consider the CPU upgrade as a new machine.

ronss
08-09-2018, 01:37 PM
The problem for me is knowing if the Windows 10 license will stay operational or consider the CPU upgrade as a new machine.

yea...and drivers...i have some good older hardware,,basically useless because of drivers, flash, etc.

Stefan Payne
08-09-2018, 02:49 PM

You can't change the Motherboard, Windows complaints about that. besides that, not so much.

ashiekh
08-09-2018, 03:57 PM
You can't change the Motherboard, Windows complaints about that. besides that, not so much.

When I upgraded a CPU from a

* Core 2 Duo
to a
* Core 2 Quad

Windows 10 considered that enough to need a new license, but when upgrading a

* Pentium Dual-Core
to a
* Core 2 Duo

there was no issue; so I guess the number of cores matters.

However, when I changed the motherboard on a Dell, I was fortunate enough to be able to give the new board the same Service Tag as the old one and the Windows 10 license kept working.

These are machines that had free Windows 10 updates from Windows 7 and so have a digital license.