PDA

View Full Version : why no shipping to europe?

ianm2
03-06-2007, 09:35 AM
most of the US retailers don't seem to want our custom, generally, prices over here are higher, so sometimes, its very tempting to order...

problem is, most of the companies won't ship to europe..

we are civilised over here you know;)

any ideas why? is it hassle with exports and all that?

GalvanizedYankee
03-06-2007, 10:14 AM
Show the UK in your profile please. :)

I have no idea why but duty, VAT, taxes, damage & claims and theft come to mind.

Over the years I have purchased serveral high dollar items from the UK and have never been disappointed. Black Barbour waxed cotton jacket and bib overalls for motorbike riding in the wet. I must say they work a treat in the rain at 100kph. Difficult parts to find for old British cars and motobikes were a easy find in the UK. BUT! I do not have to pay VAT in the UK or duty on my end. I'm not sure how much the purchase can be and still remain duty free but several have been over $500 with no questions asked.
I want a hand knitted Shetland wool jumper, hat and scarf for next Winter. In all it will be close to $400. I will have no issue wha-so-ever sending money/check to a woman in the Shetland Islands, once we have corresponded. In many ways you guys are less savage than we are on this side of the pond.

Last year I sent 5lbs. of Sanyo Denki fans to a fella in The Netherlands. Shipping with $100 insurance was $28. It took 6 days for him to recieve the parcel. He is permitted $150USD of electronic 'gifts' a year and I declared it as such so he paid no duty.

ianm2
03-06-2007, 11:00 AM
it seems most computer items are a much better deal.... (with the big advent of the internet, we got called rip off britain, but with nothing to compare to, it didn't get accepted until 5 yrs ago, now everyone knows we get fleeced left right and centre, everything seems dearer here, some things getting very cheap like dvd players and bits from china, but now the tables turned, its 'luxury' electronics that are cheap, and basic living things that you really can't do without cost the earth)

... when I have factored in postage, the price advantage is largely negated, however if it was a bulk order, say most of a system parts, it may be worthwhile, but if a company got geared up for it, I am sure there would be plenty of demand.

I can understand it to a certain extent, as of the extra paperwork and the unknown, and perhaps legal differences on returns and warrantees. Its probably not that the retailers don't want to, but their hands are tied by regulations/export law and all that...

some of us sadly are very savage, and neanderthal, like inner city L.A., but generally people selling things esp. handmade ones are very decent types.

Do you need a thick scottish jumper over there? is it that cold? I have a feeling that kind of wool is a little scratchy.

GalvanizedYankee
03-06-2007, 12:24 PM
Warranty claims would be a problem too. And yeah, we do have it good here for somethings, like electronics and petrol. I think it's called economy of scale. We are such a large number of consumers we can control bits of the market.

I'm 60(soon), like/ride motorbikes and want another roadster, Miata if I buy with my brain, TR4 if I buy with my heart. :) The best riding/driving is on mountain roads during cold weather(no Sunday drivers are about) and have always wanted some Shetland wool. It smells so good when damp and will keep old bones warm even when wet. Silk long johns will keep the itch away. I have those as well as an electric vest (12V @ 75 watts of heat).

uOpt
03-11-2007, 08:24 PM
Credit card fraud.

Warranty/replacement/exchange problems.

Uncertainty about laws in the target country.

Spectre
03-11-2007, 09:39 PM
most of the US retailers don't seem to want our custom, generally, prices over here are higher, so sometimes, its very tempting to order...

problem is, most of the companies won't ship to europe..

we are civilised over here you know;)

any ideas why? is it hassle with exports and all that?

Know anyone in the US military stationed there?

Kab
03-12-2007, 01:20 AM
Its mainly fraud but also custom. You can find a lot of it in Asia/EU and get it shipped over to UK rather than from States, if you have trouble.

uOpt
03-12-2007, 10:57 AM
In emergencies you can always try to contact U.S. ebay powersellers that list items and say they ship to Europe. You can ask them to get your item from whatever shop has it and re-send it to you. Of course you must be willing to pre-pay and generally do the blues but it will work. These people sit at home looking for things to ship to people.

Hutch
03-15-2007, 03:36 AM
You can order from newegg outside of the U.S. Only thing you need is a U.S bank account.....

Gas Pipe Jimmy
03-24-2007, 12:09 AM
After you get whacked with the VAT from UK/EU Customs, is it really that much cheaper?