PDA

View Full Version : Suggestion: Donation/Auction

unhappy_mage
02-12-2007, 12:56 PM
I haven't thought this out all the way, but it seems workable. You could sell raffle tickets for say $10, and each donation buys a raffle ticket for the next PSU tested. Then spend the money from the tickets on a retail PSU (so you know it's not a review sample!) and test it. When tests are over, RMA it if necessary (like this (http://www.jonnyguru.com/review_details.php?id=12&page_num=3)), and ship it to the winner of the raffle.

Benefits:
Real retail power supplies.
Less PSUs cluttering the GURU residence. (Is that a pro or a con?)
Possibly more reviews, or user-suggested reviews.
One lucky winner per review gets a well-tested unit.
Downsides:
Maybe not enough participation?
Some PSUs are going to suck when reviewed, and someone gets stuck with a bum unit.
Decreased reliability of PSUs from heavy stress during testing?

Thoughts? I know I'd pay 10 bucks for a chance at a pre-approved PSU. It's not that I need one right now, but I wouldn't mind having an extra one around, and at $10 it's a steal. Could be common enough around here that people would chip in.

Jon Gerow
02-12-2007, 02:50 PM
Actually, Tech Bori had an idea similar to this as well.

I certainly wouldn't ask readers for money unless most of it went to a charity. That would mean everybody wins. :D

Let me get my site's budget in order first, before I commit to doing anything else. Traffic is going up daily and unfortunately a dedicated server may be necessary, which costs 20 times more than what I'm paying for hosting. :(

Tech Bori
02-12-2007, 05:57 PM
If you need help let me know...$$$$,,,,,,,XXXXX

PaulTa
02-12-2007, 11:29 PM
Yeah, I'm with Bori. Let us know if we can help out. This place is worse than my cigarette addiction, and I don't want to know what it would be like without for a few days! :D

Tech Bori
02-13-2007, 12:07 AM
Yeah, I'm with Bori. Let us know if we can help out.

Yeap that's what I mean

Steeeeve
02-14-2007, 02:16 PM
Actually, Tech Bori had an idea similar to this as well.

I certainly wouldn't ask readers for money unless most of it went to a charity. That would mean everybody wins. :D

Let me get my site's budget in order first, before I commit to doing anything else. Traffic is going up daily and unfortunately a dedicated server may be necessary, which costs 20 times more than what I'm paying for hosting. :(

Can't you get a host that has unlimited bandwidth use? That is what I got :)

Jon Gerow
02-14-2007, 03:40 PM
I've been a part of that scam before. Ask Supersix how that works next time he's around. ;)

As your usage goes up, your throughput goes down.

That's one complaint I certainly don't have with Tera-byte. The bandwidth is good.

SKYMTL
02-14-2007, 04:33 PM
IMO, maybe if you sell the PSUs you test (the ones that don't blow up) and put that money towards a charity. This whole raffle ticket system would get too complicated.