PDA

View Full Version : win 98 won't install

ianm2
02-06-2007, 12:22 PM
hi I have a kosher copy of 98, and can't get it to install, I have 3 'old' hard drives, all of which are ok, and confirmed good by taking xp, but I can't seem to format them and get 98 loaded, I have to use 98, as I need a full dos thingy for running an older program.

Any ideas? what more info do you need,

none of the hd's will do it...hardware compatibility? I have done it b4, but this time it won't work.

One of them says insufficient memory, but I have 2gb of ram.

another says boot disc failure...

strangely, my cpu is reporting of having 128 mb of l1 cache, and 512 of l2, on the boot up/bios, its an amd s939, shouldn't the l1 and l2 be the same?...something doesn't seem quite right...

Can I put 98 on the existing HD that is running xp, do I need to partition it? I am new to multiple drives/partitioning, never done it b4.

how hard is it to get hard drives to simply have multiple sections for different installations and simply be able to select on demand...you would think that's easy enuff these days.

jonnyGURU
02-06-2007, 01:26 PM
If I remember correctly, hard drive formatting wasn't part of the install process until ME. Don't you have to format the drive with a 98 start up disk before you can actually install 98?

http://www.bootdisk.com

Spectre
02-06-2007, 06:45 PM
hi I have a kosher copy of 98, and can't get it to install, I have 3 'old' hard drives, all of which are ok, and confirmed good by taking xp, but I can't seem to format them and get 98 loaded, I have to use 98, as I need a full dos thingy for running an older program.

Any ideas? what more info do you need,

none of the hd's will do it...hardware compatibility? I have done it b4, but this time it won't work.

One of them says insufficient memory, but I have 2gb of ram.

another says boot disc failure...

strangely, my cpu is reporting of having 128 mb of l1 cache, and 512 of l2, on the boot up/bios, its an amd s939, shouldn't the l1 and l2 be the same?...something doesn't seem quite right...

Can I put 98 on the existing HD that is running xp, do I need to partition it? I am new to multiple drives/partitioning, never done it b4.

how hard is it to get hard drives to simply have multiple sections for different installations and simply be able to select on demand...you would think that's easy enuff these days.

98 isn't going to play nice with some current hardware. I would go older on the kit and it should take care of your problem.

If you need a full DOS environment you may want to freeDOS or DRDOS as well.

MrWicked1968
02-07-2007, 07:37 AM
your cpu's cache is being reported correctly.

2gb might be too much for win98, especially since it is from an era when 256mb of RAM was considered a LOT.

jonnyGURU
02-07-2007, 08:03 AM
your cpu's cache is being reported correctly.

2gb might be too much for win98, especially since it is from an era when 256mb of RAM was considered a LOT.

Oh yeah. Forgot about that. 98 always freaks out when you have more than 512MB of RAM....

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/253912

Kab
02-07-2007, 11:48 AM
Use UBCD, boot from it and it'll bootup to a working DOS envornment where you can format and delete your system with many tools : like FDISK.

BootnNuke is another way and so is Killdisk - widely available online for free. 98 or CE won't pick up 2GB.

ww2717
02-08-2007, 10:38 PM
there is an issue in the registry with Win98 if you go with a gb or larger. There are some work around for it. I would do a google to find them. you can get a win98 bootdisk from here http://www.bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm so that you can make a 98 boot disk to fdisk and format your drives

jonnyGURU
02-08-2007, 10:43 PM
there is an issue in the registry with Win98 if you go with a gb or larger. There are some work around for it. I would do a google to find them.

It's 512MB or larger. See post #5.

Veno(V)
02-13-2007, 03:38 AM
Yah, I came across the same problem last week trying to format my 180gig. WinXP wouldn't detect it passed 137 for some reason, so I had to format it thru WD software. I popped in a Win98 BootDisk and a DOS 6.22 and it wouldn't finish boot. It took me a min to realize there was a 512mb problem which I totally forgot about.

Anywayz, I finally got it done with a WD Data LifeGuard CD.

As the rest have said, go with Dr DOS and make sure to format as FAT32. I think the max parition for FAT32 in Win98 is 32gb but I may be wrong.

Slartibartfast
02-17-2007, 01:15 AM
Yeah you have to format the drive as FAT32. Win 98 doesn't format the drive and it won't recognize NTFS.