Almost a year ago our own JonnyGURU took a look at the PC Power & Cooling Silencer Mk III 600W power supply. Today we are going to take a look at one of the little brothers, the Silencer Mk III 500W. This will give us a chance to see if there have been any major changes that have taken place over the last year. While there should only be a few small differences between the 600W and 500W versions, the overall design should be fairly consistent. So let’s see how this unit stacks up against the older brother.
SUPPLIED BY: PC Power & Cooling
MANUFACTURER: PC Power & Cooling
PRODUCT: Silencer Mk III 500W
PROD LINK: Mk III 500W Product Page
PRICE: $79.99 @ NewEgg
Price is at the time of testing!
Looking at the front of the box we can see that not much has changed. There’s not a lot of information provided here, but we can see that we are giving the product name, model, and wattage. On the lower right, we also see that it is 80PLUS Bronze certified and that it comes with a 5 year warranty.
Turning the box around, we find the information we are looking for.
- Continuous output rated at a demanding 50°C ambient temperature
- Built with 100% Japanese lower ESR 105°C capacitors for high reliability
- Single +12V rail for efficient power distribution in your system.
- Compliant with the latest ATX12V v2.3 standard for worry-free compatibility
- A large temperature and load controlled 120mm double ball-bearing fan for whisper quiet operation
- 80PLUS Bronze certified for up to 85% efficiency under real world operating environments
- ErP compliant for lower power usage in standby or off mode
- Active Power Factor Correction (PFC) to effectively regulate input voltage
- Heavy-duty protection circuitry, (over-voltage, over-power, and short circuit) for protecting your valuable components
- Dimensions: 5.9″(W) x 3.4″(H) x 6.3″(L); 150mm(W) x 86mm(H) x 160mm(L)
Engineered For Superior Reliability
The Silencer MK II is meticulously designed with only premium components, including 100% Japanese 105°C capacitors, to ensure consistent and continuous output even at demanding 50°C ambient temperature. With heavy-duty protection circuitries, including over-power, over-voltage, short-circuit and over-temperature, this power supply delivers ultimate reliability for profession applications and IT environments.
Engineered For Low Noise
The Silent MK III features a large 120mm fan, with variable RPM determined by temperature and power loads for maximized airflow and quiet operation. This powerful yet efficient PSU maintains a cool and stable case environment even under demanding power loads with 80 Plus Bronze-level efficiency up to 85% (typical load).
Engineered For You
Build for ease of use with a modular cable management system, the Silencer MK III maximizes airflow and maintains an organized case environment in your system by only using the connectors you require. PC Power and Cooling offers additional peace of mind with an industry-leading 5 year warranty and technical support, with engineering expertise dating back over 25 years.
Although the above info is a little redundant at times, it does provide the retail customer with the information that they would need to make an educated decision.
Just below all the text, we find the output specifications.
On one end of the box, we find the cable/connector count for the Silencer Mk III. They even give us cable lengths which is uncommon these days. Normally you have to check the manufactures site or look for reviews that show them.
Here we have the contents of our package. The Silencer Mk III 500W, the modular cable bag to the right. In the front, we have the Power Cord, a few Zip-Ties, the four mounting screws, a Case Badge, and the Users Manual.
The Users Manual gives us some basic information but could use some work.